When do angels pair?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JodiMartin2003

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought 5 very small(dime sized) black angels at an auction on saturday. I got all 5 for 9 bucks! Anyway, I am wondering how fast it will take them to grow to full size and I would also like to know at what size should I begin looking for pairing off? If I have a mix of males and females that is.

Welcome to AA!

This could happen anytime after 6 months and should definitely be a foregone conclusion after 8 months. There are some things you should know:

1. A "pair" may consist of two females. This happens when their are no males or no dominant male that the females can identify. One or both of the females will take on all of the male characteristics and behaviors.

2. Once the "pair" is formed, they won't tolerate any other angels being in the tank.

It's good that you got 5, which increases your odds of having a true pair. Good luck.

How long will it take for mine to grow to blackskirt size? How long till fully grown?

That depends on a lot of factors, feeding and genetics are a large part of that. For example, mine are over 14 months old and are 6" (top of dorsal fin to bottom of ventral fin). Body size is about 3" in diameter.

Growth also depends on how much room they have. IME optimum growth rates come with lots of smaller feedings and most important, increasing the amount of water changed.

My angel fry went free swimming on Jan 1, they are now half dollar size. I have 6 in a 20g. They have been getting live CBW since they were large enough to struggle with them and 20% pwcs every other day. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom