When to move two tiger oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmenehan2

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I have had two tiger oscars in a 55 gallon tank for a year. I will post a picture of the tank a little later. Both fish have a very healthy look to them, I was just wondering how big of a tank one would recommend to accommodate their size and messy nature in general. I have a 75 gallon that is not set up yet(waiting for some extra cash) but I would hate to break them up after sharing a tank for so long. Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Sorry if I left out any info, first post on this thing lol.

So I have had two tiger oscars in a 55 gallon tank for a year. I will post a picture of the tank a little later. Both fish have a very healthy look to them, I was just wondering how big of a tank one would recommend to accommodate their size and messy nature in general. I have a 75 gallon that is not set up yet(waiting for some extra cash) but I would hate to break them up after sharing a tank for so long. Any feedback would be very much appreciated. Sorry if I left out any info, first post on this thing lol.

Honestly for a pair of oscars you will want a pretty big tank. 200 gallon would be ideal.

The 75 by far would be better than the 55 for them just because of the footprint of the tank. I personally inherited a 125 gal with 4 adult oscars in it. They were crowded. 2 I think would have been fine if they were a m/f pair.

I have yet to find out whether they are male or female. Are there any aquarium decor that you would recommend for oscars? I have very little in my tank to give them more room.

Very little, they knock stuff over, uproot plants, etc.....if they are male and female a flat rock laid horizontally in the tank. The female I had would lay her eggs on a flat rock. Other than that, anything you are willing to reset often and nothing heavy set vertically as they will knock it over and may hurt your glass.

Oscars are master redecoraters, mine likes one particular plant and will randomly grab it and swim around with it,i just let it float around now and it doesn't touch the rest.

They are sexually dimorphic i think the word is, meaning there is no visual difference between makes and females. Most wait until they are sexually mature and can tell from tube drop. Google can get you a better explanation. But i do believe they don't reach maturity until 14-18 months of age.

Oscars have great personalities though and are a great "wet pet".

This is the 55 that they are in at the moment

Attachments

• image-472917680.jpg
    image-472917680.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1262026071.jpg
    image-1262026071.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 60
  • image-737851879.jpg
    image-737851879.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 63
A 125 gallon will be big enough if its a 6 foot tank. I have 2 almost year olds and a green phantom pleco in my 125 6 foot. For filtration I have an FX5 and an aquaclear 110. Keep up on water changes and don't over feed with messy foods. My nitrates stay between 5-10.

Attachments

• image-106781722.jpg
    image-106781722.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom