Where to buy large rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrPillow

Aquarium Advice Freak
Where do you guys get large rocks for your tanks? Do you actually buy them or do you just get them from outside. I am wary of using something I found myself, and everything I've found for sale seems very expensive for some rocks.

Any tips?

Thanks!

Almost all my rocks came have been collected locally. Limestone will raise the pH and hardness of your water, which can be a good thing if your fish prefer that environment. Otherwise, I just soak overnight in a bucket of tap water then scrub them down with an old toothbrush to remove whatever dirt is stuck to them. Been doing it most of my life and haven't poisoned a tank yet. ;)

What about rocks which contain concrete? I live near the ocean and there is a large surplus of old concrete/rock chunks which are used as jetty/bulkhead material. How can I tell if these are safe for my aquarium?

I went to to my local landscaping place and picked up 70lbs of "blueberry" Basalt for roughly 24¢ a pound, came to like $15 something with tax. IMO those kind of places are then best and there is normally one close by no matter where you live.

yeah, i did it the hard way and over paid on ebay for the texas holey rock. guess ill try landscape place next time.

Back
Top Bottom