Which cichlids cause balance in a group?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doug4701

Aquarium Advice Regular
What's your experience been? Which cichlids do you think do well in groups? Which are just too violent to group with either there own species or other species?

I know that I had a tough time with demasoni in a group regardless of how much space I had provided or the thickness of the school.

Cichlids cover literally thousands of different types of fish world wide. So I am not exactly sure what you are asking.

Most commonly kept larger new world cichlids don't do well in groups they are better in lone tanks.
Mbunas do well in groups
Rams do well in pairs
Kribs do best in pairs
Peacocks do well in groups
Haps do well in group
Tropheous do well in groups
Frontosa do well in groups

Demasoni need to be in a proper ratio of male to female in a school of more than 15 (so I have read) I to had no luck with them cause I kept smaller schools. I think the name should be Demonsoni as they are evil little guys.

If you are referring to just mbuna Labs and Acei do well in groups.

That's a solid list Rivers. I am aware labs and acei...

Nothing against you Doug but I seem to keep noticing people type cichlids but they actually mean mbuna why ?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Expand on your question a bit. What exactly are looking for types of Mbuna that do well in groups?

Nothing to expand on. Just thought I would see what fish might work well together outside of their own species. Not a major earth shattering question with an abundance of strict and serious purposes. As I learn more I am gathering info and points of view. You got the point of my question with your answer. Thanks for your answer.

Nothing against you Doug but I seem to keep noticing people type cichlids but they actually mean mbuna why ?

Mbuna are cichlids aren't they? No offense taken. If I am wrong I desire to know.

Yes they are but there's hundreds of other cichlids as well that aren't mbuna. People some times put African cichlids as well and also really mean mbuna but there's hundreds of non mbuna cichlids so that doesn't work either.

Yes they are but there's hundreds of other cichlids as well that aren't mbuna. People some times put African cichlids as well and also really mean mbuna but there's hundreds of non mbuna cichlids so that doesn't work either.

I think it is because they are the most commonly known cichlid group. Most people when they start out, including myself, refer to mbuna as just plain cichlids or african cichlids. Many refer to SA/CA cichlids by there common names and call mbunas african cichlids. Peacocks are African cichlids but most refer to them as peacocks. I think it is an experience thing. Look at the tags at a chain fish shop sometime you will see what I mean.

Nothing to expand on. Just thought I would see what fish might work well together outside of their own species. Not a major earth shattering question with an abundance of strict and serious purposes. As I learn more I am gathering info and points of view. You got the point of my question with your answer. Thanks for your answer.

Ok cool just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing what you were asking.

I think it is because they are the most commonly known cichlid group. Most people when they start out, including myself, refer to mbuna as just plain cichlids or african cichlids. Many refer to SA/CA cichlids by there common names and call mbunas african cichlids. Peacocks are African cichlids but most refer to them as peacocks. I think it is an experience thing. Look at the tags at a chain fish shop sometime you will see what I mean.

I avoid chain aquatic stores like the plague but I know what you mean. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm aware of the different cichlids groups but I am wanting to know about all African cichlids.

P. Demasoni are supposed to be in a 55 gallon tank. And kept with a dominant male with 5 females. Feed them spirluna flakes krill seaweed and other veggitable rich foods. Also put 2-3 flat rocks if u want too breed regardless always put many rocks lastly add little freshwater salt to the water. Have a nice day

And cichlids that are african and do good are yellow lab cichlids. Have a nice day

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom