Which species is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok seen this guy at my lfs. I like him but they only have him label as pike and me knowing there are many species, I would appreciate if someone will help me see which one.

ForumRunner_20130625_101036.jpg

ForumRunner_20130625_101024.jpg

ForumRunner_20130625_101046.jpg

I think you may be right seems to get to 6" as his max size. Do you think he will be fine with tiger oscar, elcispe catfish, senegal bichir, and silver dollars in a 125 gal.

The link above is not a dwarf pike, and doesn't list a species name. The only dwarf pikes I know of (I'm sure there are more) are Crenicichla compressiceps and Crenicichla regani, and it doesn't look like either of those. It doesn't really look like a belly crawler either but it's hard to tell since I'm looking at the pics on my phone.

RAH said:
I think you may be right seems to get to 6" as his max size. Do you think he will be fine with tiger oscar, elcispe catfish, senegal bichir, and silver dollars in a 125 gal.

Crenicichla sveni.

They grow 6 - 8 inches and would be fine with that stock as long as the Oscar doesn't get him.

severum mama said:
The link above is not a dwarf pike, and doesn't list a species name. The only dwarf pikes I know of (I'm sure there are more) are Crenicichla compressiceps and Crenicichla regani, and it doesn't look like either of those. It doesn't really look like a belly crawler either but it's hard to tell since I'm looking at the pics on my phone.

Yes, you are right. The link above are the larger bruiser pikes. Hard to tell from photo (and because they are so similar), but likely Crenicichla lenticulata.

TheCommunityCichlid said:
Looks like a belly crawler

No, belly crawler doesn't have the black stripe and the snout is much broader. Belly crawler is a different group of pikes that are often called frog heads.

Ok seen this guy at my lfs. I like him but they only have him label as pike and me knowing there are many species, I would appreciate if someone will help me see which one.

Looks like a catfish of some sort

Back
Top Bottom