White or Black sand with Yellow Labs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah.. I got what i thought was black sand for my 6g shrimp tank. Then when I washed it most of the colour came out. So now it's like 30% black, 70% white. Which is a bit of a shame.

I would expect that even in the UK you have reasonably priced blasting sand, which can be silica of various shades of white or black which is slag of some type. You won't likely find it in per stores but if you search for blasting supplies or at construction supply centres, you should be able to find some.

I would expect that even in the UK you have reasonably priced blasting sand, which can be silica of various shades of white or black which is slag of some type. You won't likely find it in per stores but if you search for blasting supplies or at construction supply centres, you should be able to find some.

That's a good point! There are some industrial sites near me.

Just make sure you rinse it loads and loads, I find a bucket in a bath with a shower head helped!

maestromad said:
Just make sure you rinse it loads and loads, I find a bucket in a bath with a shower head helped!

Don't EVER put that water down your drain. Especially if you have a septic. Those small particles of sand can cause a bad buildup and lead to needing to snake your pipes. I always do it in my driveway.

Malawi Freak said:
Don't EVER put that water down your drain. Especially if you have a septic. Those small particles of sand can cause a bad buildup and lead to needing to snake your pipes. I always do it in my driveway.

Oh lord... I just washed 100 #s in my tub last night :/

Basefrog said:
Yeah I normally do it in the garden =)

It's funny the bottom half of my driveway is older and has cracks. There's sand and crushed coral in I think every single crack.

:hides: I washed 50 pounds in my tub. Then last week I poured a bottle of draino down it. Perhaps the events were related. Hmm.

Im glad!!!!Whew! I learned the hard way with my daughters rock polisher. Luckily i clogged a slop sink in my garage. It was easy to fix. Im happy you are all good!

Back
Top Bottom