Who to breed?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am debating if I want to breed again. I use to breed Kenyi's. Way fun. I have a male only tank, but was thinking of getting some females in a breeder.
I have some great fish, and wanted to ask who would be the best/most rewarding to breed.

Super Red Makobe Island
F1 Maylandi sulphurhead
Red Top Lwanda (kinda who I'm leaning towards)

These are my top three. I've thought about others, but I think these are my rarest/best fish.

i'm just starting to get into cichlids so my opinion may not mean much. but i really like that super red makobe island one.

IF your reason to breed them is for $$$$ then see what the market is asking then pick. If your reason for breed if is for fun & make some cash your pick is mine as well.

IF your reason to breed them is for $$$$ then see what the market is asking then pick. If your reason for breed if is for fun & make some cash your pick is mine as well.

Ya it's more the later. All three of those are very rare in my area, in fact the only time I have seen them I bought them.
I really like the red top lwanda, and honestly I think mine could be better looking, so part of it is to wind up with a better looking one.

F1 Sulpher head, no need to explain he's a beautiful F1, and I haven't seen any maylandis around here for a while either.

I'm thinking against the Makobe. He's a Victorian in with a bunch of Malawi. It would be cool to get those colors to come out, but I'm also hoping to denature him. I'm scared if I were to breed him, when I put him back in the show tank he will harass everyone.

I guess it will come down to what females are available. Like I said I haven't been able to find any of these fish. I'm sure I'll have to order the females online.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I recently bread my ob peacocks because the male couldn't get along in my show tank so I put him in a 29g with a couple females and they bread and I got about 30 fry. My male is beautiful but after unsuccessfully trying to get him in my show tank I breed them and I will take the best one for my show tank and sell off the rest along with my breeder male. My fry are a couple weeks old and will be moved to another 29g grow out tank in about a month. At that time I'm going to start looking for my next breeding project. I've got a very nice Taiwan reef that I'm contemplating breeding but I might just buy a breeding colony of a different type. Was thinking possible lemon jake but not sure yet. Good luck and keep us posted.

I think I saw your video, that OB is sweet! I just looked online, and the only females available are Makobe's. I still have some fish in my breeder to sell, and I have a case of Ich I'm dealing with from a new addition.
So I have some time to decide. The males aren't full size yet either. But I a dreamer and a planner.

I think I saw your video, that OB is sweet! I just looked online, and the only females available are Makobe's. I still have some fish in my breeder to sell, and I have a case of Ich I'm dealing with from a new addition.
So I have some time to decide. The males aren't full size yet either. But I a dreamer and a planner.

I know what you mean I always figure out what I want then either can't find them locally, they cost too much online, or I simply can't find them. I'm too **** impatient for this hobby lol.
I hate it it's hard to order online because I would have to use a vacation day to receive the fish so I would loose money from overtime, have to pay the expensive shipping, plus have to buy about $100 worth of fish. But as soon as I clear out the room I'm ordering a breeding group costs be ****ed lol.

I'm lucky livefishdirect.com is 15 min. Away from my house, but they don't have what I want right now.

I hear you on the impatience. It's 100% why I have Ich right now.

That's amazing I'm always checking out live fish direct your lucky.

I have gotten somewhat better I use a quarantine tank and haven't had a major sickness outbreak yet. I still move fish to show tank too early though lol. Plus I have bought some fish from a store that doesn't have the best conditions but so far so good. Sometimes they have a few nice fish so it's tough not to get them.

Crappy thing is I did really good, I put him in a QT, let him chill. Noticed he had Ich, started to treat him, and then realized I had totally cross contaminated with a bag of Purigen, my siphon, buckets, and nets. So I just put him in, and treated everything.

Before I didn't use a QT at all. That was rough. This is the first time I've had to deal with disease since I first started out.

Back
Top Bottom