whole set up and everything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rich6459

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to start a cichlid tank. What should I get regarding tank, filter, food, water buffer, lighting. and everthing. How I should decorate ( I want to use stones) and possibly real plants. I really want to do this so help would be great.

Cichlids is a rather broad spectrum, could you narrow it down to central/south american, african, or here in the us. This will decision will impact whether you could have plants since the vast majority will eat, uproot and destroy them.

I'm not really sure. What are the differences of all them. Or which ones would be the best for a beginner.

What are the pros and cons of each cichlid and which ones are the easiest for beginners if there is an easier type to have.

Get the biggest tank you can afford and set up safely as this will also play a part in fish selection. I would start looking on Craiglist for a 75g at the minimum for a cichlid tank. If you can go bigger get a six foot tank like a 180/220g and that will explode the possiblities of fish and could keep just about any cichlid you can find. The bigger the tank the more stable it will be with water conditions. The first step buy the tank then reseach the fish.

rich6459 said:
What are the pros and cons of each cichlid and which ones are the easiest for beginners if there is an easier type to have.

Start south American for a beginner. Dwarfs are best. There are keyholes, rams (kind of sensitive), apistos, kribensis, and... That's all I can think if off the top if my head. The bigger the better, but for any pair if these, at least a 30 gallon.

I would start with central American convicts. They are extremely easy to keep and they are beautiful.

Thats a great start! Congrats that will give a huge variety of stocking options. Soon it will come to the best part which is buying the fish. Did it come with filters and heaters? The next step after that is what substate you'll go with, whether it's gravel or sand. My vote would would be sand, it's easier to keep clean, more realistic, and many cichlids enjoy digging

Well before and after. I want to set up the 70 gallon with washed sand. But I want to the my 20 high clean and have clearer water.

Get a 5 gal bucket and fill it about 1/2 full of sand. Then take this outside and start your garden hose and set it in the bucket. Get something like a boom handle or something to stir the sand up. Let the bucket overflow with water while your slowly mixing the sand up in the bucket. The lightest and smallest particles should rise up and flow over the top of the bucket. Do this for like 5 min and then take the hose out of the bucket and gently tip the bucket some to pour out the water till you get down to your sand and keep rinsing till the water coming out is clear. I have also used a pillow case filled with sand then rinse the water till it's clear too.

As far as once it's in the tank just swirl the gravel vac over the sand to stir up the debris, I always have a very little amount sand left in the sink afting using my Python.

The dimensions work out to about 50 gallons, actually the same footprint as a 40 breeder but a little taller. Decent size tank, not a bad deal for the whole setup IMO. Not familiar with the Marineland Magnum canister, I pefer eheims or aquaclear hob filters.
Pool filter sand is best, playsand is much more trouble to rinse and compacts too tightly in the tank. The smaller particle size is also harder to siphon w/out sucking out sand with the dirt. You can buy a python or similar setup at Wal-Mart.

Back
Top Bottom