why are my male german rams dying?:S

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sldp999

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello,
this is my situation.
i have two female blue german rams. so i thought i should get two male blue german rams.
when i got them. the 2 females started harrassing the two males... one of the male died today. and other male is starting to die.

is the death cause my stress?

why arent the males getting along with the female?

is there a difference between blue german rams and german rams?
(Cause my female are blue german rams and my males are german rams.)

is it because the female is bigger than the male?
thank you.

my tank is 30G
so i was abit pushing it. reason why, because i set my tank up to have alot i mean alot of hiding places
thanks

im not a pro on rams but what i do know is that they are quite aggressive and territorial and require lots of space.
its possible that they are fighting.
just a thought

How bout you post some pics of your "female" rams. German blue rams and blue rams are one in the same. There are many common names for them.

I would post pics of all of them. It is possible they were mis-identified and that you have all males. Also what symptoms is the last "male" ram displaying. What are your tank parameters?

hi,
i did intense research and i'm 100% sure i had 2 males and have 2 female.(female both have pink hue on the belly).

the last male is just lying down on the gravel.

thanks

What are the tank parameters? Is he breathing quickly while laying on the bottom? Any external signs of injury? How long has the tank been set up?

6.8 PH (controlled by pressurized co2)
0 nitrites/nitrates
26 degrees
RO/water
whatelse?
its been about 4 months now for the setup

no injuiries. breathing moderate-slightly high.
thanks

I still can't rule out that perhaps they were sick when you got them. I'd try a water change, try moving the decorations around in case it is a result of aggression.

I'm thinking that you have a pair that is harassing the new arrivals to the tank. Therefore you have a male and a female...not two females.

hi,
i will post pictures of the 2 rams i have...

in the mean while is there a difference between blue rams and germans?
cause the two female i bought are blue german rams and the two males just german rams.
in my option. BGR are more hardier and have alot of more blue.
GR just seems like they have more yellow..
thanks

hi,this is the 2 rams i have in my tank currently.

Attachments

• IMG_4819.jpg
    IMG_4819.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4820.jpg
    IMG_4820.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 46
Yup, those are two nice females. What about the quality of the remaining male? Does it look thin/weak?

hi,
well the other male died yesterday. :( :(
they looked very healthy and then the other day they just seem shocked, affraid, hiding, shy, no male like aggression. and just lay on the gravel and died. :(
i think because the females were bigger thats why the females bullied the males. if i introduce two bigger males then i think the story would be different.
now its just hard to find grown males. :(

Back
Top Bottom