Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

How cold does her tank get? Plecos are tropical fish but can adjust to some lower temps but not too low.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

15 c-18 c

Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your fish are small it doesnt mean they will be ok in a small tank. With cichlids there is aggression issues and they need a lot of swimming room. If you want to keep african cichlids i suggest getting a 4 foot tank minimum. Also the pleco if its a common needs a 125 at least to be comfortable.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Rarely 15c
Old 03-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid-dude
If your fish are small it doesnt mean they will be ok in a small tank. With cichlids there is aggression issues and they need a lot of swimming room. If you want to keep african cichlids i suggest getting a 4 foot tank minimum. Also the pleco if its a common needs a 125 at least to be comfortable.
How many gallons is a 4 foot tank?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid-dude
+1 you should stock according to the fishes adult size, not the size they are when you buy them. That's what causes aggression.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:32 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

15 degrees is much too cold for plecos. That's 59 degrees in fahrenheit. I'd say no lower then 70 degrees for them. They are tropical fish.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

A 4ft is around 55gal

Jason's Profile Page
Old 03-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Africans (especially the ones you've got) are super aggressive and if they've not already picked on your tropical fish, probably will. And more than likely will kill them. African cichlids are highly aggressive. Because of that aggression and their eventual size require a 4 foot tank which is 55 gallons.
Not to mention the fact that cichlids and tropical fish have different water requirements. All in all, rehome (either get rid of them or put them in a different tank) the cichlids and you'll both ( you AND the fish) will be happier.
And yes, the dirt is poo lol
Old 03-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryleyman
2 male guppies, cherry red cichlid, yellow lab cichlid, blue electric zebra cichlid, kongi cichlid, red pladie and a small Pleco but I'm only using him to clear up my tank and then I put him in my brothers tank to clear up his until I have more algae.
Cichlids don't mix with community fish very well, especially Mbuna. As well 10 gallons is too small for your cichlids.

Tags
10 gallon, dirty, sand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com