Why is my sand in my 10gallon tank so dirty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A cycle takes weeks, months even
You can use seeded filterfloss... some cichlids can be in 10, just not all. New worldcichlids will be more violent at others than old world

Ok , sorry can help you out. I have several tanks, including a few spare.You could have had one.
What every you do, don't give up. It really is a rewarding hobby one you gain experience and knowledge.

What every you decide you would like to keep research their requirements.

Cichlids aren't hard to keep! They are pretty easy if you keep the right fish together. The hardest part is the water changes, due to the fact you generally over stock cichlids, you get a lot of waste!!!!

One thing about keeping fish is it is mostly about keeping water. Get that right and you have happy fish.

I currently have five tanks of fry as a result of happy fish! Lol
Anyway good luck and ask lots of questions. Knowledge is power!!!!

Ukdans1k said:
Ok , sorry can help you out. I have several tanks, including a few spare.You could have had one.
What every you do, don't give up. It really is a rewarding hobby one you gain experience and knowledge.

What every you decide you would like to keep research their requirements.

Cichlids aren't hard to keep! They are pretty easy if you keep the right fish together. The hardest part is the water changes, due to the fact you generally over stock cichlids, you get a lot of waste!!!!

One thing about keeping fish is it is mostly about keeping water. Get that right and you have happy fish.

I currently have five tanks of fry as a result of happy fish! Lol
Anyway good luck and ask lots of questions. Knowledge is power!!!!

My mom said that I could get a bigger tank!!!!!!!!!!! But now I have to wait until my bday party to get the $cash$ SUPER HAPPY=D

Spend your time wisely whilst you wait for the cash. Remember a big tank equals bigger filter and a bigger heater too. The advantage of a bigger tank is the water easier to look after.

Research your fish , their adult size dietary requirements. And number that can be kept in your tank, once you have a list of fish come back and post it here to double check it's ok. Before you buy. To save any disasters and disappointments.

Research cycling a tank this will help you understand the nitrogen cycle. You should be able to use some of your old filter media to seed the new tank.

Labenator65000 said:
- Let your tank settle down for a few weeks with just those three fish. Do partial water changes once or twice per week. I would say 15-20%. ... Take water samples to your Pet Store every week or so and have them check the water parameters. You want zero ammonia and Nitrites, and Nitrates no more than 20. You need to be patient here. It may take a while but it really needs to be done.

This is what is meant by 'cycling' in a nutshell.

Ryleyman said:
Dose any one know about gouramis?

I know a thing or two. They are a little more aggressive than other community fish. Only Dwarf Gouramis are ok in a 10. Non-dwarf get too big for a 10. Not sure if they would go well with Guppies/Platty.

With gups and plattys, its hit or miss, gouramis vary in personality more than criminals! Very fun to watch, and a few different dwarf varieties to choose from for a 10.
Cinnimon gourami
Sparkling gourami
Powder blue gourami enjoy
Also, look into dwarf shrimp. Cherries are fun

It is possible to keep dwarf cichlids in a 10g but you would only want like 1 male and may be 2 possible 3 females. Depending on species.

West Africans are easier than south American dwarfs as Africans like hard water not soft like south American. Kribs are. A good start and come in a variety of colours

Ukdans1k said:
It is possible to keep dwarf cichlids in a 10g but you would only want like 1 male and may be 2 possible 3 females. Depending on species.

West Africans are easier than south American dwarfs as Africans like hard water not soft like south American. Kribs are. A good start and come in a variety of colours

Do you have any pics?

Google search images for that. I just wanted a species list.. or a link. Keep in mind.dwarf cichlids still arent tropical.

There are loads of dwarfs, I don't keep any at the mo.
Google dwarf chiclids

How are they not tropical??? I can only assume you mean community fish. Which in that case you can keep some in a community depending on what with . It has been done successfully many times. ????

Kribs are pretty easy to breed if you give them the right water conditions and temp for breeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom