Why is my water cloudy ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chicklet_lady

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 150 gal African Cichlid tank is approx 6 weeks old and still cloudy from day one.

Looks fairly clear front the front but side view is hazy. I doubt I'm overfeeding - if anything I'm closer to underfeeding.

We have well water (hard) and I'm now getting worried it's the water and it will never get clear. But then again the previous owner of the set up also had well water and his tank was clear.

Concerned... Any advice from you veterans is greatly appreciated!! :)

Consider a water primer, like Prime or the like, if you don't already. It neutralizes metals and chemicals. Test your water, see how far along you are and if you're cycling, and please post pictures! Oh, and what equipment and filtration you're using.

HUKIT said:
What color is the haze? White, green, or brownish? What are your current water conditions?

It looks like a white haze. The tank has been running for approx 6 wks now. Did a water change of 30% last night. Tonight the water is reading:
- ammonia. 0
- ph. 8.2
- nitrite. between 0 and .25
- nitrate. 20

uh.oh... said:
Consider a water primer, like Prime or the like, if you don't already. It neutralizes metals and chemicals. Test your water, see how far along you are and if you're cycling, and please post pictures! Oh, and what equipment and filtration you're using.

I use prime already as it came highly recommended. Filtration is a wet/dry 200. I'll post a pic...

Sounds like a bactiera bloom as your nearing the end of your cycle. Continue to monitor your water conditions and it should start to clear soon. Keep up with the water changes your almost there to a cycled tank.

uh.oh... said:

Just installed a sponge filter this week as well.

Attachments

• image-3186505568.jpg
    image-3186505568.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 111
  • image-1697105023.jpg
    image-1697105023.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 99
Probably a silly suggestion but did you make sure that the sand/gravel was properly cleaned? My sand took about 5 or 6 washes before the water stayed clear! bacterial bloom and not enough filtration are also possible causes. Hope it clears up soon!

Def still cycling, nearly there though and you watch, it will clear up seemingly overnight. I still find it fascinating just how clear my tank is and was in your position only a few weeks back, seemed to take FOREVER!!

Good luck J

I would just sit it out the bloom will only last 3 to 5 days if you do a water change it will probably be back in a day or so as the bacteria notice the change in the water and it reproduces faster than you can change the water

In doing a fishless cycle at the minute and in on my 3rd bloom the only thing to remember is that if your testing for ammonia the bloom will mess about with it ie will take longer for the ammonia to drop

Just sit tight for a while and the tank will sort its self out

Back
Top Bottom