Why wont my convicts breed? ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 female and 1 male black convicts and they flare at each other! But why won't they spawn bur I do have many other cichlids in the 60g tank with them! I have fine gravel and a bunch of clay pots! the temp is 78 and the pH is around 7.8 or so! I did a water change a few days ago? I have empty 10g that is already cycled should i put them in there together and see if they will spawn? I really want some convict babies please helpppp!!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Careful what you wish for - because once they start its all the time!
How old are they?

Careful what you wish for - because once they start its all the time!
How old are they?

True. Once they start you will be over run.

Also maybe you have to many cichlids in the tank? what else do you have in with them? sometimes females don't get in the mood if they are over crowded. Another possibility is they are but someone else is eating the eggs.

My tank is fairly crowded, that dosnt seem to bother them. I do have a tall plastic plant in the corner in front of the heater and thats where they like to hang out when having babies. When the babies are small you really had to look to see them in the plant. Once they pair up they will chase the other fish away.

Though a m convict +fem. Convict = non stop babies forever??

I put them in a 10 gallon by themselves! Still nothing! I put a pot in the corner the female stays back there but I don't think there are any eggs back there! My substrate is sand and they have made a hole behind the pot!

Are you 100% they are male and female.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are you 100% they are male and female.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes I think so! One has a bright orange belly and the other doesnt!

I HAVE BABY CONVICTS!!! They are under the pot and there little tails are wiggling

Thank you!! When should I feed the babies? Right now they have little tails but there not swimming around! I have frozen brine shrimp!

crushed flakes is fine when they are free swimming or you can get Hikari first bites. Package is like $1.99

Back
Top Bottom