Wigglers!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allivymar

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want you guys to picture me with one hand on my chest, the other fanning my face and me saying "Oh my gawd!" *grin*

As many of you know, 2 of my angelfish started laying eggs a couple of months ago every week. And within 12 hours they would eat them (which I expect them to do in a community tank; generally they don't feel the eggs are safe with lots of other fish around). Welp, they layed again Monday nite, expect this time they did NOT eat the eggs! And as of this evening, we have wigglers!!!

Whats a wiggler you ask? Tis the next stage after eggs; when the eggs hatch, these lil buggers come out. Basically they're embryos with tails and a sticky spot on their head to attach them to a surface. The parents moved them off the intake tube the eggs were layed on, and have stuck the new wigglers onto a piece of slate in the tank. I wish I could show you what they look like moving, but trust me, wiggler is a VERY exact description. Its really neat to watch the parents gently grab them of the initial surface with their mouth, and move them to a new place (and not eat them LOL). I took some pics but only 2 came out halfway decent; the brownish stuff on top of the slate are the wigglers:

How nice! That would be neat to watch! Hope all the wigglers are safely attached to the slate now! How many do you estimate that there are?

I got 2 new bettas, almost a month ago now. (I tried taking pics with my 5-year-old digital camera; didn't work too well! My new camera is coming soon!) Anyway, I got them at a hatchery, not a lfs (easier on the allergies that way -- no dogs or cats around!) Plus the bettas were all so nice. I had a hard time choosing! Also at the hatchery I saw tons of angelfish in various stages of growth. I thought of you! I saw one tank that the fry were so small that some of them didn't even have those little "whiskers" yet. I also saw discus for the first time in person!

Good luck and congrats!

There has got to be a couple hundred of the lil buggers! She must have laid around 400 eggs, and I figure at least half have made it to the top of that slate.

I have to be honest and admit these guys probably won't survive. Since its a community tank with a gravel substrate they likely won't make it very far. Both because if they fall onto the substrate the parents won't be able to find em and stick em back on, and because I have 6 loaches who will view angelfish fry as a delicious treat LOL However, once I reorganize my tanks the beginning of next month, they'll go into the 25g with only the 4 rams as tankmates and a sand substrate, and should be able to raise a brood with little prob (fingers crossed). I'm just amazed that they have been able to parent raise so soon; domestic angelfish aren't always good at it.

And go get that new camera t-siag! I wanna see the new bettas already *hrmph*

400 eggs! Where do they get the energy! :lol: The fry tank will be a good idea!

Well, I've been checking the tracking website frequently for my camera! I really hope it comes by Friday!

P. S. That's a really pretty rock!

OMG that is sooooo cool. I had no idea angels could be such attentive parents. That must have been incredible to watch.

Congrats, Alli!

"Oh my gawd" Alli's had 400 baby's. I bet you could do with a rest now, another holiday, hahahahah.

Congrats Alli, i know you have been waiting for this moment. Enjoy.

Congrats Allivymar! Angels were the first cichlids I bred, so much fun to watch but also alot of work, hope they do well for you.

Angela

My angels always lay eggs and in a day or two the eggs get eaten. A few days ago more eggs appeared on the intake tube but nobody has eaten them yet. 2 clown loaches are staying the distance but the gold gourami really want to snack. This morning I found that the eggs are changing color a bit - turning white. I hope some could actually survive but we'll see...

Well I am so proud of your fishies! The two pairs I had spawned regularly, but I think my water is too hard for them to develop properly.

Maybe if you keep the lights on all night they will have a better chance, so mom and pop can guard them. That would be just too cool if you get some babies out of this!

Best of luck- :D

It must be so cool watching the parents tend to their young! Good luck and keep us posted on survivors!

Lou

Even though I never got to the wiggler stage, it was definitely cool to watch the parents take turns fanning the eggs, and once one of the females was laying them so fast and the leaf she was laying them on was too small, and the male was scooping up the eggs as fast as he could and try to get them back on the leaf. It reminded me of that old "I Love Lucy" skit where she is at the candy factory. :D

LOL Oh I can picture that TankGirl!

Just got home from work and the wigglers are almost all gone. About 2/3 were gone this morn, when I found the poor momma trying to chase a very determined yoyo loach off the slate. There's maybe 10 left total; between them falling off during the day into the gravel (hubby was watching) and the loaches this batch is also a loss. I'm not too terribly bummed; it simply means I am utterly psyched for next month, when I move the pair into the 25g and they can actually raise a brood! I do feel bad for the pair tho; I realise they don't have human emotions, but it has to suck to spend all that effort and energy for someone else's lunch.

Well it is a great sign that you have some good parents there, and that is a big plus, because then you might be able to leave them in there and raise the wee bairns. Best of luck, and I just know you will keep us posted!

my eggs are now gone also - i'm thinking about getting a 10 gallon setup from walmart for like 30 bucks, soon as I do a water change and they lay eggs again-put them in the other tank.. I dunno...

Well I was all excited for ya, Alli! I'm sorry there don't seem to be any survivors but I'm anxiously awaiting next time after they get moved into their new home! :D

Back
Top Bottom