Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wild Oscar

I've also bought this guy recently, I had to have him because I've not seen this colour pattern on an Oscar (for sale anyway) before and the blurry pic doesn't do him justice. I'll try and buddy him up with my larger one when he's big enough. Anyway, the only ones I've seen with this colour pattern ( in books and online) are wild caught. Would that be the case, or could he be tank bred. The store are a chain type and didn't really know.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407069286.339648.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	245456Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407069299.777588.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	245457

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks amazing!! Get him on some good food and he'll blow up like a pumpkin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 08-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, the patterning on him is great, and I wanted a darker one to contrast with the red Oscar. Will be feeding prawns, cichlid gold, new life spectrum, tetra colour and a few other random protein foods.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nice patterns on the fins, but overall it is just a Tiger Oscar and 99% certain tank raised as they are very easy to breed in captivity and the cost of acquiring a wild caught one would far exceed the cost of tank bred, if they are even being collected in the wild any longer, of which I have my doubts simply based on the monetary differences between wild caught and tank bred.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok thanks for the reply. I suppose the price should have given it away, about 10 bucks in my money!
Was curious anyway.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

very pretty Oscar. love the coloring... Alison
Old 08-03-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
Nice patterns on the fins, but overall it is just a Tiger Oscar and 99% certain tank raised as they are very easy to breed in captivity and the cost of acquiring a wild caught one would far exceed the cost of tank bred, if they are even being collected in the wild any longer, of which I have my doubts simply based on the monetary differences between wild caught and tank bred.
Yes, wild caught oscars are still imported. Jeff Rapps with Tangled up in cichlids usually has them. However, they won't be found in a chain store

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 08-03-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakgecko91 View Post
Yes, wild caught oscars are still imported. Jeff Rapps with Tangled up in cichlids usually has them. However, they won't be found in a chain store

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Interesting, but I can't fathom why when they are so easily bred in captivity, why continue to deplete wild stock.
Personally I think it is unethical.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:10 PM   #9

Wild blood is still best for out crossings to keep lines strong and it is really only unethical when done with less widespread species like the zebra pleco

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 08-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another factor to consider is that not all wild Oscars are coming from S. America anymore. We have a nice collection of wild ones in South Florida. Many canals are teaming with them. We even had a failed program, way back when, to try to help eradicate them from the canals. As I said, it didn't work. So I can only assume that if they are as prolific in S.A. as they are in S. FL, the wild populations are indeed safe. Habitat destruction will be their biggest concern.
As for the OP's fish, keep in mind that Red Tiger Oscars don;t get the red in full until they have gained some size. I can't tell for sure what the size is of the fish in the pic but it does look small to me. Even the wild ones have a red ring around the eye spot at the rear. This fish seems to not have that yet either which is another sign to me that it may be too young to say for sure it's type. Just sayin'

Hope this helps.

Tags
oscar, wild

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com