Will a Kribensis' Entire Tail Grow Back??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tammibabs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

So I've been breeding a pair of Kribs, and their first batch of babies just hit the 1-month milestone. I was starting to think about moving them to a separate tank from the parents, when 3 days ago the mum and dad started viciously attacking the fry. It turns out they had decided to start a second family; I found a big cluster of eggs on the back of the terracotta pot.

Anyways, I moved the older babies as soon as I could to a new tank. The problem is that one of the fry had her entire tail ripped off by one of the parents. The cadual fin is completely gone, all there is left is a little stub where the tail used to be. On the day that I moved the fry to the new tank, she didn't look very good; breathing fast, not swimming around much, and the "stub" was quite red. Now 3 days later she's acting completely normal, swimming around and eating like a little pig again. The tail stub is no longer red.

I'm wondering...what are the chances that the tail will ever grow back? I know from breeding bettas that FINS can repair themselves...but I don't know about an entire tail. Does anyone have experience with this kind of thing?

Ive never had a fish with the whole tail gone, but i did have one that list half of its tail and it grew back. Im guessing that it will grow back in time. Make sure you keep the water conditions pristine, it will help.

I had a fire mouth with its whole tail ripped off. It survived and is actually still alive and will battle anything in the tank with him. It will probably be fine.

Haven't had this happen with cichlids but my albino cory cats got fin rot that took all of their fins and barbles over a year ago. Almost all their fins grew back, the tails grew back a little crooked but they are the only fins that came completely back. And it was gone down to their bodies, plus some.

Hmmm, okay, sounds like there's some hope at least. I'm not too concerned with her health, she seems to be active and healthy. I was just wondering if she'll be deformed for the rest of her life.

I've learned my lesson; the next batch of fry is being moved at the 3-week mark!

I'm not the greatest at taking pictures, but I took a few of the babies & parents:
(the baby in the middle of the 1st one is the tail-less krib)

Attachments

• Krib Baby Missing Tail.jpg
    Krib Baby Missing Tail.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 199
  • Kribensis Female.jpg
    Kribensis Female.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 278
  • Kribensis Male.jpg
    Kribensis Male.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 233
Hmmm, okay, sounds like there's some hope at least. I'm not too concerned with her health, she seems to be active and healthy. I was just wondering if she'll be deformed for the rest of her life.

I've learned my lesson; the next batch of fry is being moved at the 3-week mark!

I'm not the greatest at taking pictures, but I took a few of the babies & parents:
(the baby in the middle of the 1st one is the tail-less krib)

Wow they grow fast!!!!

Back
Top Bottom