will cichlids go with all my other fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

izzycomosy

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi, I have 2 flag cichlids and 1 parrot cichlid and 1 white angel fish,I am having a problem with my tank water although I do a FWC every week and hoover the tank daily my water always seem to be full of algae and long stands of algae stuck to the plants,and they seem to collect a lot of muck that sticks to the plants also,can I put them in with my other fish in the 108 gallon tank until my new fluval 104 gets here,I am hoping that this will solve my water problems. the tank is not in the daylight so why am I having this problem

Buy a Phosphate (PO4) kit, or take your water to the LFS and get it tested for phosphates. How about a NO3 level? Can you give us some info about your water?

IMO, I wouldn't put those cichlids in with the other fish. The neons will be the first to go :|

Hi, I have already purchased one and it is in the tank already has been for about 5 days, the water parameters are all ideal conditions as I test them every week with my test kit,everything is the same as my large tank
and the water is crytsal clear in the 108 tank,only thing different is that I have a fluval 404 in the large tank and a jewel filter.
I have a small interior filter and the old type long filter and sponge in the side of the tank.
so what should I do???

In your 108 gallon tank, you also have ALOT of algae eaters. Mollies LOVE hair algae. The plecos take care of the rest I'm sure. That's likely why you don't have an issue there.
Hi, I have already purchased one and it is in the tank already has been for about 5 days

What are you referring to here?

Really, the algae isn't bad for the fish, in fact it's probably more healthy in that tank than it usually is, it's just an eyesore to us. My advice is to keep up the water changes, leave the light off except for feeding and chill out till the fluval gets there. Those cichlids would make quick work of most all of those fish except probably the loaches and pleco in the 108 gallon. If it's really bothering you, throw a dark blanket over the tank and keep the lights off blacking out the tank, that should take care of the algae. Just don't put the cichlids in your other tank, that's just not a good idea.

Ok will do... I mean wont do...lol thanks for all the help will do the lights out for a while but the fluval will be here tomorrow so I hope it makes a difference.but I shall leave them where they are.
Kind regards
Irene

I've been having problems with this stringy algae recently as well. This stuff is getting so thick that it's starting to kill my plants because they are having a hard time getting any light on their stems. The staff at Paul's Aquarium recomended this phosphate remover stuff. It comes in a box with three bags, or you can buy it in bulk and fill your own bags, which is probably better that way because it's impossible to slip the bags into the filter as they come. I had to mickeymouse things a bit to make it fit.

I have just started using this stuff so I don't know how affective it is.

As for the Cichlids, I was told from the petstore that you can only put cichlids with cichlids, and even then only with a large enough tank that they can stay out of each other's space. Doesn't sound like a good idea placing cichlids with the other fish.

Stringy algae (Pain in the polar regions)

Hi, I have got a bag on in the tank as well but my plants always seem to look so dirty.
I will not put the cichlids in with the other fish I have sorted out the new filter fluval and you are right there is no room for anthing eles in there so I have hung it in the tank next to the outlet valve.
Thanks for the help though
Kind regards
izzycomosy

Back
Top Bottom