Will Cichlids jump from tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't like the glass top lids and have gotten into the habit of just removing them. So, the only thing over the top of my tank is the light strips. Would you be concerned that some of the fish could/would jump from the tank?? Or is it fine to leave the tank "open"?

Cichlids will jump. About 3 months ago I found my dominant male Kenyi laying on the floor. He was pretty dried out but I kept hope and put him in a cup of water. I still have him to this day but his colors have definitely been effected. His one side has no striped and solid yellow while the other has a faded blue with some barely visible stripes. He hasn't changed at all since.

With your concerns with jumping fish add in excessive evaporation, you'd be amazed on how much humidity that adds to your house. With the summer were are having that's the last thing you need.

HUKIT said:
Yes, when I had no tops I'd add 1-2" of water between weekly water changes and with lids zero weekly top offs.

I agree on the evaporation. My tank without a lid I add a few inches a week.. And after a few days the pumps are loud from the water cycling back into the tank... Whereas in the tank with lids no water evaporate... Not enough to tell between my water changes.

And yes I had an Oscar jump out once.

It's also better for your regular type light strips to have a barrier between them and the water if that's what you use. They aren't designed to get any water on them from splashes, bubbles popping at surface and such.

Not to mention what happens if one falls into the tank and the fuse doesn't blow right away.

Back
Top Bottom