Will my kribs ever get along?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hulkamaniac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I decided to buy a pair of kribs for my 75 gallon tank as centerpiece fish. I was hoping to buy a male and a female and hopefully get them to breed. The store I went to yesterday only had one that was definitely a male. I bought him. Today I went to another store that had a tankful and bought what I'm pretty sure is a female. I added her to the tank today. The male keeps harassing her every time he sees her. He nips at her if she's even close to him. Fortunately in a 75 gallon tank there's room for her to hide, but did I make a mistake by adding them separately like that? Should I catch them both, move them to my 20l for a week and them re-introduce them into the 75 together?

It sounds like the male is in the mood to spawn and the female isn't. You should provide plenty of places for the female to hide from the male's advances, until she's also in the mood.

I say just give them time. I've had kribs for several years and I have not seen a pair yet that wouldn't breed.

Voodoo Chilli said:
It sounds like the male is in the mood to spawn and the female isn't. You should provide plenty of places for the female to hide from the male's advances, until she's also in the mood.

That may be it. The male is showing very vivid colors.

Back
Top Bottom