Will rams work for my parameters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My local store just got in German Blue Rams. I have been wanting this fish! But, I'm not sure if my tank will work for them. Questions:

1. I have read they need a PH up to 7. Mine is 7.8......problem? The guy at my LFS says his tank is about that and his rams are fine?

2. I've read you need peat. Is that essential? Or just suggested? I don't have peat.

3. My water is very hard (250-300). I see they prefer soft.....

4. My tank was seeded with media from a mature tank and has now been up for 4 months. I know rams need an established tank. Do you think mine is established enough especially since it basically didn't cycle due to the old media?

Thanks for your advice......

After 4 months it should be established,
One thing I have learned about a fish's "ideal" range, is consistency is more important. See if you can test what they are in now, and compare it to your tank, and if they are relatively close, go for it. As far as peat goes, it's not essential, although definitely helps. I use a half dose of Kent's Black Water in my Ram tank. It drops the PH a little over time, but it's still at about 7.8. (Starts at 8.2)

Rams are most sensitive to rapid changes, (PH, temp, hardness etc) and Nitrites.

I think the more important thing would be to acclimate the ram to your water. If the ram came from water with different parameters, they could go belly up without proper acclimation.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

After 4 months it should be established,
One thing I have learned about a fish's "ideal" range, is consistency is more important. See if you can test what they are in now, and compare it to your tank, and if they are relatively close, go for it. As far as peat goes, it's not essential, although definitely helps. I use a half dose of Kent's Black Water in my Ram tank. It drops the PH a little over time, but it's still at about 7.8. (Starts at 8.2)

Rams are most sensitive to rapid changes, (PH, temp, hardness etc) and Nitrites.

Ok thanks. Please excuse my ignorance re the peat - I assume you just put it on top of your substrate?

I think the more important thing would be to acclimate the ram to your water. If the ram came from water with different parameters, they could go belly up without proper acclimation.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok thanks. I normally float the bag and add a cup of water every 5-10 mins until they are in at least half the old and half the new water. Is that good enough? Or even slower? I guess you don't want them in the bag too long as that is probably stressful too, right?

Ok thanks. Please excuse my ignorance re the peat - I assume you just put it on top of your substrate?

Not sure, the Black Water I use is a solution. I'm sure you could google it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom