Will this 56gal be suitable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nicosia31 said:
Found a 56 gal on craigslist. Will these demensions be ok for mbunas? 30"x18"x26"

Hmm, well in a standard 55 gallon (48x12x221) the general recommendation is to keep fish that will not exceed 5" in length. I'm sure someone will pipe in on what recommended max size is for a tank with these dimensions.

Before you buy anything, do yourself a favor and try to plan the whole tank out. Post any filtration, heating, substrate, and fish stock that you have in mind to this forum to get the advice of folks here. Try to discern from the responses which folks are giving good advice ("generally", a member more posts means the member has more experience [but not in every case; there are exceptions] ).

Seriously, just take it slow. If you are well-armed with knowledge from experienced folks, it will be a much more enjoyable experience for you. Enjoy!

Thank you very much for your input. Its very much appreciated. He's including filters, heater ect. Ill post the link.

I currently have a red zebra, yellow tail acei, rusty, blue johanii, yellow lab, but I can rehome if I really need to.

I have plenty of small gravel but I think I want to switch to sand.I think the fish and I will prefer sand.

Well, Convict Cichlids are Central American Cichlids, if you are considering his offer to purchase them with the tank. Mbuna are Lake Malawi (African) Cichlids. You shouldn't mix the two.

Now, I don't have any experience with Convicts myself, but several folks here really like them. You might consider taking them as well. Still wait to see what folks here say about the setup before you decide.

Labenator65000 said:
Well, Convict Cichlids are Central American Cichlids, if you are considering his offer to purchase them with the tank. Mbuna are Lake Malawi (African) Cichlids. You shouldn't mix the two.

Now, I don't have any experience with Convicts myself, but several folks here really like them. You might consider taking them as well. Still wait to see what folks here say about the setup before you decide.

Don't the SA's n CA's prefer different pH? I believe so, that is a good reason not to mix too :)

Yeah I'm still debating taking the convicts. I have heard that africans can't be mixed with his convicts. I haven't researched enough about convicts to commit to them instead of my malawis. I'm worried the demensions are too small for the convicts he's offering even if I did want them. Id really hate to buy and realize that the demensions are too small for the malawis. Thanks for the advice to take it slow. I needed that.

nicosia31 said:
Yeah I'm still debating taking the convicts. I have heard that africans can't be mixed with his convicts. I haven't researched enough about convicts to commit to them instead of my malawis. I'm worried the demensions are too small for the convicts he's offering even if I did want them. Id really hate to buy and realize that the demensions are too small for the malawis. Thanks for the advice to take it slow. I needed that.

The biggest reason not to mix Malawi Cichlids with non-Malawi Cichlids is the water parameters. The diets are different as well.

Well I bought it. I didn't take the convicts though. They were scarred pretty badly and I wanted to do my own thing. Plus I don't have anywhere to put them during the build.

nicosia31 said:
Well I bought it. I didn't take the convicts though. They were scarred pretty badly and I wanted to do my own thing. Plus I don't have anywhere to put them during the build.

Well, now you have time to clean it up and cycle it before you stock it.

oH yeah, I cleaned the glass last night and it looks perfect. I still havent found a scratch. The filters are next. He gave me a ton of rocks out he had in there which he got from his backyard. they look good, but I'm going to scrub and rinse them really well. Do you think these are safe to put in? Ive heard they can bring in parasites. True?

Back
Top Bottom