Winter storm please help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mellissacolleen

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi folks ! There's a storm coming and I have a good chance of losing power ! Is there anything I can do if I do lose power and the heat goes off in my tank. If I do loss power my house will get very cold and I'm sacred the temp in my tank will drop! Thank you guys for your time and sorry for the long winded post my mother has me very freaked out now! We got hit with a very bad Ice storm last year and were out of power for two days!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This is also my first storm with my tank! I've had my tank for about 9 months.

Hi folks ! There's a storm coming and I have a good chance of losing power ! Is there anything I can do if I do lose power and the heat goes off in my tank. If I do loss power my house will get very cold and I'm sacred the temp in my tank will drop! Thank you guys for your time and sorry for the long winded post my mother has me very freaked out now! We got hit with a very bad Ice storm last year and were out of power for two days!

1st thing I would do is a water change before it hits. Clean water is a good start.
also read through this
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/preparing-for-the-storm-328793.html

Thank you! Wc is defiantly happening after I drink my morning coffee?! I read through that posting didn't say anything about what to do if I lose heat and my temp starts to drop that's why I'm really concerned about !

Wrap a blanket around the tank to help keep heat in, you can also heat up some water on the stove should the need arise (assuming you have a gas stove top)

Wrap a blanket around the tank to help keep heat in, you can also heat up some water on the stove should the need arise (assuming you have a gas stove top)

Thank you! Defiantly will have to do
The blanket thing I sadly don't have a gas stove top so heating up water is out of the question if I have no power :(

One thing you may want to pick up is a battery powered air pump jic, IME fish can handle a slow/steady but drastic temp swing but lack of O2 in the water column can cause problems quicker. My heater broke on me in my nano reef last week while I was at work and by the time I got home my tank was down to 60 and everyone was fine (including over $1000 in corals)

One thing you may want to pick up is a battery powered air pump jic, IME fish can handle a slow/steady but drastic temp swing but lack of O2 in the water column can cause problems quicker. My heater broke on me in my nano reef last week while I was at work and by the time I got home my tank was down to 60 and everyone was fine (including over $1000 in corals)

That's something I'll defiantly look into buying ! And wow that's really lucky!!!

Another thing to do if you can't run out and grab a battery powered bubble is stir up the water a little bit- the agitating of the water will help oxygen. If you have one of the hot water heaters that holds and stores some of the water even once you loose power you should have warm water for a while so floating bottles of hot water might still work but definitely lots of blankets. If the tank is in a room with its own thermostat you might want to put the heat up more than usual ahead of time. We generally keep heat around 60 but bumped it up to like 68/70 just in case

King of diy has a video on heaters using driveway salt and water bottle.. could be help full to some.. also consider setting up a drip with hot water in a tea kettle?? Oxygenated and heat.. careful starting the siphon though;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom