Worried!! Plz help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mlani said:
No worries :)
Hey do you know anything about treating ich in salt water tanks? And copper? Redsea had a post up looking for help on ich too. I can kind of relate to what they're going through. So if you do, would you mind helping them out too?

No sorry. I know nothing about saltwater setups. :( but one day I might!

Thanks anyway, I'm sure someone will post on the thread. This forum is full of helpful people. :)

Update- tetras and raspboras clear of all spots. The two rams left are still covered, one is hugging the bottom of the tank, still eating but hiding the rest of the time. Cat has settled down a bit, but still flashes around every once in awhile. How long did it take to clear ich out of your tank?

I've got a 60gal tank coming on the weekend, originally my intent was to transfer these guys over into it. Now that we've got ich, I'm not sure what to do. I'm guessing I'm going to have to start all over again with the new tank? Or could I take one of the filters from my 65gal (the healthy tank) to help cycle the new one? Then wait until these little guys are healthy to move them? Or should I keep them in that tank and start a new community? (Hubby really wouldn't like the last idea.)
This whole ich thing has me worried about long term health with those fish and the tank. :-(

Mumma.of.two said:
A good 2 weeks both times. First time was bad and I lost fish but everything was back to normal 16-17 days after I first found it.

I'm sorry about the loss of your fishies :-(

Mlani said:
I'm sorry about the loss of your fishies :-(

Once everyone is cured they will be right to move to any tank. I've swapped and changed fish from the tanks that where infected and everythings fine.
If you move a filter make sure it's from a healthy tank and you add an ammonia source (fish or bottled).

Thank you. I wouldn't have even thought of the ammonia. Once the fish are healthy *said a lil please prayer* and the new tank checks out good with parameters I'll transfer them. Then I'm thinking I'm going to break down the other tank (the ich one) and clean everything. Good plan?

Mlani said:
Thank you. I wouldn't have even thought of the ammonia. Once the fish are healthy *said a lil please prayer* and the new tank checks out good with parameters I'll transfer them. Then I'm thinking I'm going to break down the other tank (the ich one) and clean everything. Good plan?

No need to clean the old tank if you don't want to. I didn't :)

Really? it won't increase my chance of getting ich again?
My app on the phone crashed and wont let me back in, had to grab the tablet.
theres alot more options in here than on the app:fish2:

Mlani said:
Really? it won't increase my chance of getting ich again?
My app on the phone crashed and wont let me back in, had to grab the tablet.
theres alot more options in here than on the app:fish2:

My phone is ALWAYS crashing drives me crazy! Lol

It will be fine if you kill all of it. That's why treatment is continued after all the spots on the fish are gone to kill it all in the substrate and water.

Yeah, I agree with Mumma. If you are too paranoid, you can clean things more, but the whole point of the treatment is to kill every bit of the ich. It can't hurt to wait a little while after the treatment though to make sure it doesn't pop back up again. :)

I'm learning the lesson of patience with this one. Lol! I think we're nearing the end now though. All fish with the exception of one are clear! The big boy (who my son has named (smurfie) is still covered :-( oh and the cat is still flashing, just not as bad. So hopefully..soon! I'm going to be getting the 60gal tomorrow and setting it up. I think I'll add and treat about 30gals of water and then when this tank is clear siphon it into the 60? Or should I just do it all new?

Good news. The ich appears to be all gone!! YAY! I'm still going to keep treating for a week though. Just to make sure it's all dead! Thank you everyone who has helped me through this and the other things that came up during this time :)

Thanks to you guys! I wouldn't have had a clue how to have cleared it up in my own. I would've been the "sucker" running to the lfs and dumping a whole lot of chemicals and money into my tank. I think the natural way worked out pretty good. I did lose one lil fishy but I'm sure had I been on my own I probably would've lost them all. Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom