Would be nice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harryhorse

Aquarium Advice Activist
It would be nice on this site if people helped people instead off sayin u cannot do that,that fish does not belong in that tank,that fish does not go with that fish,be posative people.eg with aficans don't just say they won't work give people ideas off what will work.

Harryhorse said:
It would be nice on this site if people helped people instead off sayin u cannot do that,that fish does not belong in that tank,that fish does not go with that fish,be posative people.eg with aficans don't just say they won't work give people ideas off what will work.

I believe that is helping when people say that won't work or that fish shouldn't be with that fish etc... And most people DO offer suggestions on what size tank a fish needs and filtration and also what fish could be kept with what fish and what fish is more aggressive then others and so on and so on... Not really sure what your talking about. This site and the members on it have SAVED my tank! Because of the advice,knowledge and there patience with dealing with someone who just started out I have a thriving 75 gallon African tank and I've thanked them over and over again.

I guess some may get frustrated when people ask so many questions and already have a ton of fish in a small tank under poor conditions and after asking all the questions they just ignore us and do what they want anyway. That's annoying.

Don't ask questions if you know the answers your going to receive aren't want you wanna hear.

Plus there's plenty of reading and research people can do before hand. Don't just jump into things and expect the members here to fix things overnight, research is everyone's best friend.

Where here to help and offer advice but sometimes out hard work at answering a multitude of questions it all falls on deaf ears! I've seen it all too often, someone asks a question gets the answer (the right answer) doesn't like and starts another thread in hopes on getting an answer that suits them.

That's NOT what this forum is about. Were here to help, straight to the point REAL advice that works. Were not gonna tip toe around your questions, we'll give it to you straight it's up to the members asking the questions what they do with the information given to them.

A lot will listen, some won't. The choice is yours.

Like I said before. The members here saved my tank and fish and I will forever be grateful for all they have done!!

It's amazing what can happen when one actually takes in the information given and acts on it :)

You can lead the horse but you can't make it drink...

And that's the bottom line....

Reactions: HN1
Well... I thought that's exactly what they've been doing? When I first joined here there was a huge amount of help from the guys for me. And I think it's just the orientation of this hobby, that if some fishes don't work with one another it has to be told. And there's always an option and - at least in my case - there's been plenty of help.
I'm sorry you didn't have the same experience :(

Most of the members of this forum are extremely helpful and do offer suggestions and advice along with letting you know something in your tank is not suitable. There are the exceptions of a few members that could use a few lessons in manners and politeness perhaps even subtlety but you are going to find those on every forum.

I do agree with what use r sayin but I have read tones off threads were there was only puttin down an not helpin.to me that just puts peps off fish keeping and it suppose to be fun and rewarding.eg cichlids have a mind off there own u could get two fish from the same batch and one will work and one won't but u will never now unless u try.alot off peps just say no an never have tried cause they read it somewere

Convict2161 said:
I believe that is helping when people say that won't work or that fish shouldn't be with that fish etc... And most people DO offer suggestions on what size tank a fish needs and filtration and also what fish could be kept with what fish and what fish is more aggressive then others and so on and so on... Not really sure what your talking about. This site and the members on it have SAVED my tank! Because of the advice,knowledge and there patience with dealing with someone who just started out I have a thriving 75 gallon African tank and I've thanked them over and over again.

I guess some may get frustrated when people ask so many questions and already have a ton of fish in a small tank under poor conditions and after asking all the questions they just ignore us and do what they want anyway. That's annoying.

Don't ask questions if you know the answers your going to receive aren't want you wanna hear.

Plus there's plenty of reading and research people can do before hand. Don't just jump into things and expect the members here to fix things overnight, research is everyone's best friend.

Where here to help and offer advice but sometimes out hard work at answering a multitude of questions it all falls on deaf ears! I've seen it all too often, someone asks a question gets the answer (the right answer) doesn't like and starts another thread in hopes on getting an answer that suits them.

That's NOT what this forum is about. Were here to help, straight to the point REAL advice that works. Were not gonna tip toe around your questions, we'll give it to you straight it's up to the members asking the questions what they do with the information given to them.

A lot will listen, some won't. The choice is yours.

Like I said before. The members here saved my tank and fish and I will forever be grateful for all they have done!!

It's amazing what can happen when one actually takes in the information given and acts on it :)

You can lead the horse but you can't make it drink...

And that's the bottom line....

I agree with some off what u r sayin 75% off the info is really good but 15% talk crap just from a book that's what gets under my skin, There is never a bottom line

Part of using the forums properly is to visit often enough to get a sense of the people offering advice. That way you get a feel for who you should listen to and who you should ignore (there is an ignore option in the CP).

That's mostly what I did my first few months as a member. I lurked, reading answers to other peoples posts about SW and gaining a sense of who was posting reasonable information over and over and who was posting stuff just out of a book, or what their lfs told them.

Then I came out of lurker status and started asking questions about my setup I knew when to accept good advice, when to ignore advice until confirmed by someone else, and when to just ignore advice because it was probably wrong.

After a while I noticed the same questions were being asked over and over from others just starting out. By then I felt confident enough to answer some questions with what I understood to be sound advice. I was passing on good information that I had received and helping someone else in need.

That's what this place is meant for. There's a lot more ignoring that needs to happen these days with the rapid influx of new members, but if you take some time to read the posts you will soon know which 75% to follow, which 15% to ignore and which 10% to take a wait and see attitude with.

It's all part of the experience.

Have a great day, and a successful aquarium.

One big reason people, myself included, are quick to say no because it's usually a question asked over and over again. Yes I understand people are trying to research certain things but google will usually answer 85% of the questions out there or by simply reading through past threads on this site.

I also don't like saying yes because then every once in a while someone gets upset when things go wrong and are quick to blame the ones that said it would work.

I have found this site very helpful for my tank. I have switched to Prime, purchased an API test kit, added an additional filter, and feed a better diet (NLS pellets and Veggie Flakes from Kensfish). I don't think I would have done any of these things without hearing about them on this site. I have also added extra rocks and caves for my cichlids, they are all hollow plastic and ceramic so I am not displacing gallons of water. My fish are beautiful, active, and seem quite healthy. As much as I would love to upgrade to a bigger tank, I don't see that happening anytime soon. So, a 46 gallon bow front is what I have. At least for now. I stock the smaller cichlids, most will be 3-4 inches. I've got 9 fish in there for over a year. Had to rehome an auratus many months ago when it turned mean. Other than that, aggression has been fine.

cmor1701d said:
Part of using the forums properly is to visit often enough to get a sense of the people offering advice. That way you get a feel for who you should listen to and who you should ignore (there is an ignore option in the CP).

Yea, verily. +100.

As a matter of fact, to anyone considering getting into Cichlids, I would recommend spending at least 30 days to just read every post and all of the replies from this forum before you make any initial purchases. After a while, you will be able to predict how folks will reply to new posts. Anyone visiting this site regularly will get a feel for the folks who know what they are talking about, and you will be able to spot wistful, energetic replies of still-noobs who may think they are giving good advice, but still have a lot to learn. It may seem harsh when folks like this are smacked down, but weeding out good advice from bad advice is difficult enough in this hobby.

Harryhorse said:

To that I say do your research and then ask questions if a certain stock list will work. Instead of impulse buying fish and then being " I bought these fish because they are pretty, will they get along?". When you post stock lists of incompatible fish/ inadequate tank size it tends to invoke a negative response with what's wrong with it.

well i was given bad advice from lfs's and now im stuck with a stock that doesnt work, and may have to rehome fish. it is my first african tank. i just found out about this app, now i know whats wrong with it, and everything. everyone starts fish keeping and was a newbie at some point. everyone makes mistakes, everyone gets frustrated some times. i think that positive criticism is alot better than being rude about a situation because the person who is chewing you out probably made the same mistake when he was a newbie too.
thats my opinion.

gman42 said:
well i was given bad advice from lfs's and now im stuck with a stock that doesnt work, and may have to rehome fish. it is my first african tank. i just found out about this app, now i know whats wrong with it, and everything. everyone starts fish keeping and was a newbie at some point. everyone makes mistakes, everyone gets frustrated some times. i think that positive criticism is alot better than being rude about a situation because the person who is chewing you out probably made the same mistake when he was a newbie too.
thats my opinion.

That's exactly why you should never blindly follow anyones advice even if they are a expert. I can't stress enough research research research, then gather opinions and do what you feel is best. If it doesn't work then change your methods and try again. I don't think anyone on here chews people out, some people are just to dense to get certain things so it forces some members to be more stern with the poster.

Thank u all for your input,and yes I cannot count,most people on here give good advise,it just would be nice if people said no that fish does not go with that but these fish might from personal experience but to frank I have got some grate advise,i just don't think people can five advise strait from books,I have seen some weird combos in my 5 years off fish keepin that u would never pick unless u tried thanks all got more responses from this than when I ask a question.

true.
im just kindaa mad about my situation right now lol.

gman42 said:
true.
im just kindaa mad about my situation right now lol.

If you're frustrated that's no reason to lash out at other members. I understand we all have stressful fish related problems, just try and stay positive.

Mogurako said:
To that I say do your research and then ask questions if a certain stock list will work. Instead of impulse buying fish and then being " I bought these fish because they are pretty, will they get along?". When you post stock lists of incompatible fish/ inadequate tank size it tends to invoke a negative response with what's wrong with it.

Agreed. Its tough to walk out of a fish store when you get your mind set on what looks nice.

When I have purchased tanks and filters and read through the owners manual, it says to change 25% of the water once a month. Years ago, I thought I was pretty awesome for doing PWC on the 1st and 15th each month. It doesn't seem like something I would need to research. If a filter said it was good for a 50 gallon tank, I didn't think I needed double filtration for my tank size. When a person used to tropicals switches to cichlids, they may realize the aggression issues, but there's a lot more to it. Many sites say a 30 gallon tank minimum for a certain fish, while members of this forum say a much larger tank is needed. I'm so glad I found this forum because I have made many improvements to my fish habitat that I would have not known about otherwise.
I have had my tank for a decade, but I am always learning something new. When I first got my tank and set it up, I headed off to Petsmart to pick out some fish. They wouldn't sell me any and told me to come back with a water sample the next week. They let me buy two small tropicals after the week went by and then made me wait again. I didn't really understand cycling then. But I was just going on the info included with my aquarium kit. Oh, and there was a sample of something in there to add to your water so you only had to do a PWC once every SIX MONTHS! Never thought that was a good idea, but I can see why people have problems. The equipment they buy has less than ideal information in the manual. The new owner has no reason to doubt this info. They feel like they are following the instructions. It's not that people don't care or don't research. We should really try to be helpful and not judgmental.

I find any bit of info helpful.
Even an expert will learn a new thing now and again (I'm not an expert) The key is to extract the information that pertains to your situation, the rest just take it with a grain of salt.
Even some comments that may seem rude at times have very useful information in them. You could look at it as straight talk from a person with a different personality type.
I try to help as nicely as possible. If that is impossible then I'll steer away.

Back
Top Bottom