Would like advice on Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig864

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 5ft tank about 105 gallon. I have 4 Oscars at about 6-8inch among with a fair few other fish none of them are fighting but I would like to know if the tank is suitable for them as I keep thinking the tank is too small. The fish have been living together for about 8months+ The fish I have in the tank are.

Oscars. 4
Jade eye. 1
Feather fin catfish. 2
Silver dollars. 8
Common plec. 1
Bristle nose plec. 5
Mozambique mouthbrooder. 2
Blue loach. 1
Sucking loach. 1
Spotted catfish. 1
Angel fish. 1
Jack demseys. 2

Is this a joke?? Your tank is suitable for 2 oscars.. only 2. I don't even know what else to say...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No it's not a joke. I genuinely asking a question. So your saying I should only have 2 Oscars in there no other fish either?

Yes, if you want to properly keep oscars? 2 oscars in that tank with bi-weekly 60%wcs minimum

How big will Oscars actually grow in captivity also what would happen if I kept the tank with the same fish I got in there. Other than that I better start finding some homes for fish if I can't keep them all together.

They can/will hit at least 11-12". They poo like mad when properly looked after. Any google search would have led you to this information?? Do you want a bunch of fish or a couple big fish??

Yeah I know the poo like mad. And yeah google did but rather actually talk to someone who's maybe atleast kept them know what I mean. And I would rather a decent amount so the tank don't look dead

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I'll find new homes for the Oscars.

I have two 3 year old oscars and they are at 13 and 12 inches in length. I have them in a 300 gal plywood tank that I custom built myself. There are also 2 large plecos, 1 flowerhorn, 2 Texas cichlids, 1 green terror, 3 convicts,1 red terror, 1 chocolate cichlid,and 1 African cichlid. The tank has over 900 gallons per hour filtration on it with plenty of water movement. Most would say I'm crazy but it is surprising peaceful and I always have crystal clear water. Doing my 50% water changes weekly of course.

That's awesome :) if only I had space. Only got room for 5ft tank then a 3ft tank opposite. Shame I'm going to have to sell 3 of my Oscars but 100gallon just ain't enough space. I've been thinking that for a few months and had to ask if it was to small of a tank. I'm new to keeping Big fish had them for about a year didn't know of space for Oscars as they where real small when I got them But my tank is always clear with 2000lph filter 40-50% water change every 2 weeks I clean the filter a couple days to a week after a water change :)

Back
Top Bottom