Would these fish work together in a 20-gallon long aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Devon Greatwolf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After much reading and mind changing the following are the Tanganyika fish that I like:

Altolamprologus compressiceps "Sumbu"
Neolamprologus brichardi
Julidochromis dickfeldi
Neolamprologus leleupi “Orange”

Would these fish work together in a 20-gallon long aquarium? If so, what type of stocking would you recommend?

I was thinking:

1 Altolamprologus compressiceps "Sumbu
1 Neolamprologus brichardi
2 Julidochromis dickfeldi
3-5 Neolamprologus leleupi “Orange”

For filtration, I am using a Whisper 30-gallon HOB.
I promise I will perform a minimum 20% WC weekly!

In addition, what, if anything, do you know about:

Tanganicodus irsacae “Jeweled Goby Cichlid”

Tank is set-up waiting to clear. I jump-started the cycle with media, and deco from one of my other tanks.

Right now I am thinking faux saltwater!! Deco consists of 15lbs of crushed coral, 10lbs of coral-colored fine gravel, pink sandstone cave stack across 50% of back, large false coral shelf across 50% of back, a few pieces of true coral, a nice tubeworm stalk, and several shells of various size and shape. I intended to get enough “large snail-type” shells to provide complete cover of all open areas of the tank. I also plan to change over to a more “natural” set-up (keeping with the pink sandstone by adding more and lots of “lace” rock; possible some driftwood too, if I can find something that is light in color). I am going to add some anubias nana this weekend.

As always, your thoughts and comments are welcomed and much appreciated

Peace

IMHO none of the fish you want will work in a 20 gal tank, long or not! The tank is far too small for anything but dwarf cichlids like rams or apistos. It may work while they are juvies but that is all. There is not enough space in a 20 gal tank for those fish. I would honestly recommend at least 55 or more gals for those fish.

The Tanganicodus irsacae “Jeweled Goby Cichlid” requires a minumum of 30 gals.

First, let me say that I appreciate your opinion and comments.

Zagz said:
IMHO none of the fish you want will work in a 20 gal tank, long or not! The tank is far too small for anything but dwarf cichlids like rams or apistos. It may work while they are juvies but that is all. There is not enough space in a 20 gal tank for those fish. I would honestly recommend at least 55 or more gals for those fish.

Correct me if I am wrong but aren’t the cichlids I have selected approximately the same size as apistos.

Quote from some unknown source: “A.Compressiceps ‘Sumbu Shell’ is more peaceful than its larger conspecifics. It is a natural shell dweller unlike the larger Altolamprologus which are what we call opportunistic shell dwellers. ‘Sumbu Shell’ in nature breeds in shells and only stays about 2”. In the wild they stay well within the Dwarf cichlid parameters but in captivity it has been reported that they can grow well over dwarf cichlid size. There have been reports of them growing close to regular A. Compressiceps size. It seems most of the info I hear from people who have kept them that 3.5” for males and smaller females is the average in captivity.”

I have been discussing the idea of a “shelly” tank on another board, http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=46726&start=10&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= (hope I am not out of line posting this link), and have received some thoughts that it may work.

I have thought about keeping apistos but they are rather scarce around here and when they are available (usually cockatoo, full red, and pandas only), they are rather pricey - $65-$100 (I can actually get discus cheaper - $30 and up!).

In addition, I currently have a 30-gallon SA tank with a pair of GBR's, 5 rummy nose tetras, 7 ras hets (to be moved into one of my 20 gallon Gourami tanks), and 1 neon tetra left from cycling over 3 years ago. I plan to introduce 3-4 more rummys and a 5-7 strong school of cardinal tetras when the ras hets are re-housed.

For listing of my current aquariums please see here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=101038&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

What if I switched the number of Leleupi and Sumbu and dropped the Brichardi?

Once again thank you for your comments and opinions.

My peace forever be with you.

With the exception of the J. dickfeldi (which do stay small), the size information you've gotten is way off base. Some of those will be in the 3 - 4 inch range, but more importantly, you've got to take territory and aggression under consideration. The list you've mentioned simply will not work in a 20L.

A shellie tank would be perfect in you tank, however.

The Compressiceps "Sumbu" (ie. Dwarf Compressiceps) do stay small, and are pretty unaggressive. In fact I would say unaggressive enough to get beat up by quite a few other fish.

The sumbu are small enough for a 20 long, either by themselves or with one other species. By themselves for sure, one more species and you are stretching things a little, so just be careful. One shelldweller that could work with them is the Brevis, they generally have a very small territory. I also think you should be OK with the dickfeldi as they have different territory.

Leleupi get 4inches or so, and I would say more space than a 20 long with any other fish.

dont put driftwood in a tang setup . not natural for them plus lowers the ph level tangs need a ph between 8.0 - 9.0

Would someone post some photos of these species in this thread, please? I would love to see them for better reference. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom