Would you say this crushed coral is too big/sharp for mbuna?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I decided not to use it unfortunately :/ I don't want to discourage digging or have the possibility for getting damaged from it. But I ordered two filter bags and I plan to fill the remainder of my ac110s with re CC and see if it helps a bit I wish they made a sand like version that wasn't sharp. If thy have, I haven't run across it yet

No fry yet. They're starting to get big so maybe soon! Although I need to look again into which of these can interbreed so I know which to keep or not. But I'm not looking to breed so fry will stay in the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

For any who have used crushed coral in their AC or similar hob filters... How much is really needed to make a difference? As stated, my test kit seems to read 7.5 for ph, and the fish store and everyone else tells me its 7.8 instead here. I know CC can buffer up to 8.2. Assuming i go from 7.8 to 8.2, would water changes harm the fish since i pump directly from the faucet with temp matched water, around 25-30% weekly? It was my understanding that the buffering helps it stay higher even when waterchanges happen, if it has enough buffering there. So should i stuff as much as i can fit in the two AC110s? I currently run the large sponge and then alot of biomax on top, and a polishing filter floss pad in between on one. Would crushed coral be enough biomedia to just swap out the biomax alltogether for it? Or maybe just half

Dialing it in.
I've heard of some people using mostly CC in their hobs, and others using up just a 1/3 of the hob capacity.
Someone else can chime in on biomax and other media's comparability for BB colonization. Imo, and how I've packed the AC with success for higher ph tanks... sponge at the bottom, mostly biomax, some CC, packed filterpad with filter floss and activated carbon.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gillie pointed out this very useful website the other day. Maybe you've used it before.
Aqadvisor.com

Wouldn't I benefit from the most crushed coral as possible in there? I couldn't see any downsides since I want it as hard as possible for them.

And I've used aqadvisor to stock other tanks. How could it help with media?

Is CC's capacity to colonize BB less than, equal to, or greater than biomax?

Ahh I see. I know it is less but I wasn't sure the amount needed considering the tank

You said earlier your ph is already high 7s. That will be fine for them. Don't sacrifice the better filtration medium.

I have some room left at the tops of the two which I will fill. But is two ac110s stuffed with bio balls and such really necessary? Some would argue that the massive sponge itself is enough along with decor/rock work/substrate I always kept it in the because I had it and incase I or someone I knew wanted to start a tank lol

I'm not trying to sound like a condescending wanker either. I'd really like to know the answer to a fully packed filter with CC vs biomax.

I'm not trying to sound like a condescending wanker either. I'd really like to know the answer to a fully packed filter with CC vs biomax.

Me too. But it seems like we are the lone two commenters for the thread and i try to stay away from posting ten threads a day :p It seems pretty obvious that bioballs would have more space for BB though. And i dont know how fast CC breaks down, but as it did i would think the BB from that particular spot would be lost too

If you have any extra room I would add what you could. It shouldn't hurt flow and a little should aid in your pH raising, your already not far off. I run my African tanks at 7.8, its what my tap runs and I prefer stability over exact numbers matching pH.

If you have any extra room I would add what you could. It shouldn't hurt flow and a little should aid in your pH raising, your already not far off. I run my African tanks at 7.8, its what my tap runs and I prefer stability over exact numbers matching pH.

Yeah thats why i was thinking of removing some of the biomedia to instead have CC there. Since some BB should colonize on the CC anyways and then id hope i could get enough buffer to prevent drop during waterchanges. Id agree on consistency being better than the ideal number in most cases. Ill probably pack the bag so its stuffed to the top and hopefully that helps. Just gotta wait on shipping for two measily bags lol

Yeah if you can get enough just to get to 7.7 or 7.8 I'd call it done. Honestly I don't see an issue with 7.5-.6, but it is at the lower end of the ideal spectrum.

I almost want to get another kit to compare. Mine has consistant readings, but it seems to test higher by others even with the same water used. Ive always gone with it being 7.8

Back
Top Bottom