Yellow dwarf cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deckape

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are yellow dwarf cichlids really peaceful and community tank ready? I have a real old book that says they are but the cichlid moniker makes me wonder. I have danios....just wondering, thanks

Yes, That's the cichlid in question. The book I have is about 30 yrs old. Thanks for the help

mfdrookie516 said:
yeah, they're pretty easy going. As with most (if not all) cichlids, though, they can get a little rowdy when breeding.

Do you believe a pair be good with danios? Thanks as always

Are yellow dwarf cichlids really peaceful and community tank ready? I have a real old book that says they are but the cichlid moniker makes me wonder. I have danios....just wondering, thanks

Apistogramma spp. or this could also refer to Nannacara anomala. Either way, they're good choices for a community tank. The Nannacara anomala is more shy than any Apistogramma species I have kept. There are lots of species available in the hobby, was there a certain one you had in mind?

severum mama said:
Apistogramma spp. or this could also refer to Nannacara anomala. Either way, they're good choices for a community tank. The Nannacara anomala is more shy than any Apistogramma species I have kept. There are lots of species available in the hobby, was there a certain one you had in mind?

Can't remember exactly the Latin but it is the ones with the long flowy dorsal fins. Named after a German fellow. Thanks for the info again. You're awesome

That sounds right. I have an old book at home and I will double check after work. Are those fish readily available or are they hard to find? They are beautiful fish.

That sounds right. I have an old book at home and I will double check after work. Are those fish readily available or are they hard to find? They are beautiful fish.

I've kept them, but they're hard to find. Apistogramma are really easy to find where I live, but not that particular species.

I don't know why they would be referred to as the yellow dwarf cichlid though. Maybe the book is talking about females in spawning color.

severum mama said:
I've kept them, but they're hard to find. Apistogramma are really easy to find where I live, but not that particular species.

I don't know why they would be referred to as the yellow dwarf cichlid though. Maybe the book is talking about females in spawning color.

Hi, I was wrong about the species. It is a Apistogramma reitzigi Ahl.

Named after Herr Reitzig of Berlin

Have you ever heard of these cichlid? Anyway thanks as always!

No, I can't say I have ever heard of those. :)

There are so many Apistogramma species that are available in the hobby, some haven't even been described yet. Or, you mentioned that the book you were using was an older book... sometimes species are redescribed and renamed later on.

If you like the yellow look, you might be interested in Apisto Viejita. Beautiful little fish.

Thank you. I will defiantly try to find that one. Have a great day and if you ever come across them , let me know.

Gillie said:
A. reitzigi is an old synonym for A. borelli, also known then as the yellow dwarf or umbrella cichlid.

Thanks I really appreciate the help

Back
Top Bottom