yellow lab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman42

Aquarium Advice Addict
my yellow lab has been hiding for the last day or 2. he eats, and looks healthy. i just added a couple flower pots to my tank, and i dont know if he has claimed it as his territory or if he is getting bullied. he was actually one of my meaner fish, and stood up to my red zebra. hes like 1/2" bigger.
everyone in my tank chases eachother a little bit, i dont think theres a ton of bullying.
heres a pic of him

gman42 said:
my yellow lab has been hiding for the last day or 2. he eats, and looks healthy. i just added a couple flower pots to my tank, and i dont know if he has claimed it as his territory or if he is getting bullied. he was actually one of my meaner fish, and stood up to my red zebra. hes like 1/2" bigger.
everyone in my tank chases eachother a little bit, i dont think theres a ton of bullying.
heres a pic of him

Does he only hide when folks approach the tank? I have a tank of about 11 and they all dart into hiding whenever someone approaches the tank or even turns the light on near the tank; that is, until the lid is opened.

he used to be kind if a bully, and now he stays in his corner. all of my fish have set territiries. i think if i add 2 fish to my tank( only has 5 atm) this may keep aggression down. because the fish will be swimming around more instead of staying in their territory and attacking someone when they wander into their area.

gman42 said:
he used to be kind if a bully, and now he stays in his corner. all of my fish have set territiries. i think if i add 2 fish to my tank( only has 5 atm) this may keep aggression down. because the fish will be swimming around more instead of staying in their territory and attacking someone when they wander into their area.

I believe that is what people get dither fish for.

Dither fish are small fish that swim in the upper open waters to show your other fish that there are no predators. Unfortunately with African cichlids, they are the predator. Dither fish are usually recommended for south American cichlids or new world cichlids.

The most common dither fish are danios, Tetras, and barbs.

i cant do that atm, so i guess ill wait it out and see how he is acting.

Malawi Freak said:
Dither fish are small fish that swim in the upper open waters to show your other fish that there are no predators. Unfortunately with African cichlids, they are the predator. Dither fish are usually recommended for south American cichlids or new world cichlids.

The most common dither fish are danios, Tetras, and barbs.

Oh, I was not aware of that. Sorry for the mis-information.

gman42 said:
heres a pic of him

How big is your tank? Is it possible for add more Labs? In my personal experience, I found that labs was much more comfortable after I added more labs. However, if there are just two or three, the new ones may get bullied. I found that 5 was a nice number to keep the peace. Again, only if your tank is big enough to handle them.

i was given bad advice from a petstore
i got the fish that they wanted me to get and now im dissapointed. i have a bad stock
1 acei male
1 kenyi male
1 red zebra male
1 midnight peacock male
1 yellow lab male
all in a 40 g breeder
which doesnt work very well.
i want to rehome them, and do a pair of rams, some cory's and a school of neons. i just bought all the rock for africans, but this setup is allready not working. my dad will not let me rehome them because he will say that i did this the last time bcuz a friend told me what fish to get that time, and it didnt work either.
i really want to rehome them bcuz the tank isnt the correct set up, but i dont know if i can.
:(

The peacock and the acei are the only ones that worry me. Perhaps trying to bring them back and get 3 females of the zebra, Kenyi, and yellow lab? The yellow labs may cross breed with the Kenyi though.

idk what im going to do
i would get females but i dont want fry.
the yellow lab is now out an swimming now that the light is off. i guess he was just scared. um i want some shell dwellers, but there not at my lfs. i really like the schooling fish like neons and stuff.
i just dont know if my dad will let me rehome them
::uggg

the peacock holds his own he is a bit bigger than the others he is okay atm.

If you just leave the brooding female in the tank with the rest of the fish odds are you won't have any survive. Maybe one or two every blue moon.

Back
Top Bottom