Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #1

yellow lab and red jewel cichlids seeking addition

Cichlids: I have a yellow lab and a red jewel in a 29 gallon tank. They have been together for a long time, along with a common pleco.

Is there another fish, or shrimp, or any other livestock that may be a good addition?

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Drake
It depends on what size they are. Because you don't want to get a cichlid that is too small and gets eaten. I have a yellow lab in a 46 gallon with a bumble bee cichlid, Malawi Eye Biter, and an electric blue johanni. It dosen't really matter as long as you keep them with other African cichlids that are about the same size. Also don't put too many cichlids in a 29 together because that isn't a lot of room.

10 gallon-brackish, figure-eight puffer, knight goby
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

First of all please remove the jewel at some time they will clash and the jewel will proabbly kill or wound the yellow lab. Also get rid of the common pleco he gets 24icnhes long and will produce tons of watse by a bushynose pleco they only get 5icnhes long. If you get rid of the jewl you can purchase a Psudemous Acie,Ngara white tail acie-a beautiful nice cichlid-A rusty cichlid-and a Psuedmous solocofi they all have great coloration and are very nice.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com

Go to that website and hit Profiles on the navigating bar and hit profiles and enter Lake Malawi-Malwi Mbuna and look for the names of the cichlids i mentioned. all the names are in alphabetical order. If u need any help or have any trouble jst private message me.

HTH
Old 02-16-2005, 12:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
It dosen't really matter as long as you keep them with other African cichlids that are about the same size
It does matter when dealing with mbuna, mixing different african speicies is usually not a good idea unless you get some of the calmer speicies together.

I agree with Fishlover14, remove one or the other. But skip out on getting a socolofi, they can be very terriotorial when adult and will kill the lab.

29 gal is a little small for more than 1 species of mbuna. a trio or quartet or labs (1m/2 or 3f) would work out.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

FWIW, you need to research the needs of your cichlids. There are hundreds out there and have vastly different needs and temperaments.
My favorite sites:
http://malawicichlids.com/index.htm
http://www.mongabay.com/fish/cichlids.htm

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I gues u don hav to get psduemous solocofi but they are really not that mean but to be safe u dont need to get one it is about a 75% everything will be fine to a 25% chance everything wil not be fine. Go get profiles and names of cichlids u like and we iwll tell u if they are compatible.

HTH

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, ich, jewel, yellow lab

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com