Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

yellow lab cichlids and center piece fish.....

i have a 350 litre fish tank 75 uk gallons (90 us gallons)
i was hoping to get about 6-8 yellow labs and was wondering what fish i could have as a center piece i would like a oscar but i know they would be too big and see the labs as food so was wondering what people keep with the labs? a fish around the 8-10 inch mark preferably...

Old 03-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

i wouldnt mix yellow labs and oscars. i would go with africans, or sa cichlids. i would get about 20 africans maybe 1m:3f/4f. you could get yellow labs, and 3 other types of africans. if you want to do sa cichlids you could do 1 oscar. im not that big of a sa guy so someone else can chime in on that.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

you could prob get more africans i thought it was a 75, but its a 90
Old 03-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #4

Giraffe cichild maybe
Old 03-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, How long do you want the Labs?

At some point the Oscar will get to 8-10inch (some people say 14, My largest after 5 years was 8) If the oscar can swallow them they will....

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Try this link it can give you some ideas on compatibility...
60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Pton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman42 View Post
i wouldnt mix yellow labs and oscars. i would go with africans, or sa cichlids. i would get about 20 africans maybe 1m:3f/4f. you could get yellow labs, and 3 other types of africans. if you want to do sa cichlids you could do 1 oscar. im not that big of a sa guy so someone else can chime in on that.
Also Africans and SA Cichlids have different water requirements (Africans need higher PH plus Cichlid salt).
60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Pton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwillbo
i have a 350 litre fish tank 75 uk gallons (90 us gallons)
i was hoping to get about 6-8 yellow labs and was wondering what fish i could have as a center piece i would like a oscar but i know they would be too big and see the labs as food so was wondering what people keep with the labs? a fish around the 8-10 inch mark preferably...
Stick with more peaceful Mbuna only.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #8

hey thanks for the reply's
i really like the African cichlids and there bright colours and i know i need to put a lot of rocks in there for hiding spaces, but i really don't know which way to swing with the tank as if its African cichlids im stuck with only mbuna species so im going to take my time to choose what type of setup im going to go for..
Old 03-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwillbo
hey thanks for the reply's
i really like the African cichlids and there bright colours and i know i need to put a lot of rocks in there for hiding spaces, but i really don't know which way to swing with the tank as if its African cichlids im stuck with only mbuna species so im going to take my time to choose what type of setup im going to go for..
Keep in mind that there are several lakes in Africa. Your Yellow Labs are Lake Malawi Mbuna. Lake Malawi is a Rift Lake. Rift Lake Cichlids prefer hard, alkaline water. Mbuna means "Rock Dwellers," so you are right on, in that Mbuna are comfortable with rockwork. Most people like to stack flat rocks, leaving crevices for the fish to hide in. Google (Images) "Cichlid Rockwork and see plenty of examples.

Lake Malawi has three basic groupings of Cichlids (that I know of, at least):
Mbuna,
Haps,
Peacocks

Most people recommend that African Cichlids should only be kept with other African Cichlids. More specifically, most experts will recommend that only Rift Lake Cichlids be kept with Rift Lake Cichlids. Even more specifically, most experts will recommend that Lake Malawi Cichlids only be kept with other Lake Malawi Cichlids. Yet more specifically, some experts recommend that only Mbuna should be kept with other Mbuna. Now, of course, opinions vary the more specific the advice goes.

Most anyone who keeps Cichlids of any variety will recommend that you should to pair up compatible temperaments.
Mbuna are aggressive (technically, "territorial") by nature; especially compared to non-Mbuna Cichlids (e.g. Haps, Peacocks). That being said, Yellow Labs are one of the most peaceful of the Mbuna. So you'll want to do your research and find other peaceful Mbuna to go with your Labs.

You also want to consider the Male/Female ratio. Male Mbuna often aggressively pursue females (sometimes, literally to death). Typically, but not always, male are more colorful than females. So you could either go with an all-male tank, or have more females than males to spread the "aggression." Opinions on ratios very widely. I have heard 1M:3F to 1M:7F. It may vary by species. I really wouldn't worry about it too much with Yellow Labs, though.

No worries about being "stuck with" an all Mbuna tank. I could not find a number in a search, but there are several varieties of very colorful Mbuna to choose from.

Good move on your part in taking your time to make your selection. Do plenty plenty plenty of research before purchasing. Never do an impulse purchase.

Have fun!

Tags
cichlid, cichlids, ich, yellow lab, yellow lab cichlid

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com