Yellow lab holding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sistill

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, how long does a cichlid hold before you actually see fry, I am keeping it all natural, so I haven't taken her out.
Cheers

If you don't plan to take her out, you may never see the fry at all. Its a feeding frenzy unfortunately.

joel618 said:
If you don't plan to take her out, you may never see the fry at all. Its a feeding frenzy unfortunately.

+1 I've had 1 fry survive from 7 broods it really is feeding time for the other fish in the tank.Problem is when the female first spits her fry they are not good swimmers and easily get picked off!!

I set up a friends tank two years ago, he never takes them out and now has too many, if you provide lots of rock work ( which should be standard for these fish ) then you will get a good percentage survive.

Sistill said:
I set up a friends tank two years ago, he never takes them out and now has too many, if you provide lots of rock work ( which should be standard for these fish ) then you will get a good percentage survive.

I've had them hold several times, I have plenty of rock work and hiding places, never had one spit in the tank and survive. Just see how it goes I guess. What size tank and how many fish? What kind of fish does your friend have?

joel618 said:
I've had them hold several times, I have plenty of rock work and hiding places, never had one spit in the tank and survive. Just see how it goes I guess. What size tank and how many fish? What kind of fish does your friend have?

I have babies!!!!
She spat them out a week ago, I have three hiding under a good rock, very active but amazing at hiding when needed, all doing well.

Attachments

• image-3728753861.jpg
    image-3728753861.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 115
Back
Top Bottom