Yellow Lab Holding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've put the airstone underneath the Tupperware pot, the holes in the pot are so small that only the odd bubble actually gets through, meaning it's just gently rocking them every couple of seconds?.. Will that suffice.. They seem alright, wiggling away..

Still bobbling around, I've took the lid off the container and put a stocking over it and positioned it so the filter outflow flows gently into the container, providing a nice gently rocking motion for them, and a good circulation.. They seem happy enough, how long will it be before the yolk sac goes and they need feeding?x

emmamc91 said:
Still bobbling around, I've took the lid off the container and put a stocking over it and positioned it so the filter outflow flows gently into the container, providing a nice gently rocking motion for them, and a good circulation.. They seem happy enough, how long will it be before the yolk sac goes and they need feeding?x

Ok, so I did a little investigating for you ;) it seems that ur Lab was probably holding these guys for a little over 2 weeks... Which means you have approximately 14 days or so of tumbling to go.... It says they don't need feeding until the yolk sac is gone. It also say that increasing temp slowly will help with how many fry will survive. It says between 80-82* which makes sense because I keep the temp in my fry tank @ 81 which seems to make them grow at a faster rate. I do feed my fry 2-3 x a day, small feedings :) I give them crushed flake until they are big enough to get the NLS pellets in they're mouth :) I'm pretty sure the NLS I feed my fry are 3mm pellets. The article also stated that Mbuna eggs are the most forgiving when it comes to tumbling so that's great news! Also said that when they are free swimming there is no longer a need to tumble. Looking forward to hearing the outcome of this project! Good luck!!! If you plan on stripping in the future you should set up a grow out tank for the youngsters :) my family's favorite tank out of the 4 I have is the fry tank :) they are so fun to watch and born with Mbuna attitudes from the get go! They are constantly Nipping and quarreling with each other haha!

Last edited:
That great, thanks so much... My tank is at 81' anyway..I have 15 just wiggling about.. Hope I manage to make my first time a success... Definitely plan on getting a small tank for babies to grow out... I'm sure she'll brood again soon, even though she's only 2/2.5 inches...

That great, thanks so much... My tank is at 81' anyway..I have 15 just wiggling about.. Hope I manage to make my first time a success... Definitely plan on getting a small tank for babies to grow out... I'm sure she'll brood again soon, even though she's only 2/2.5 inches...
Oh absolutely! My female Nyererei is a machine, she takes about a 3 week break before her and "Clyde" (I affectionately named the 2 Bonnie and Clyde, the names suit them very well haha) spawn again, although sometimes I wish she would hold off longer as she tends to get pretty skinny after not eating for 30 days at a time! One of my other Nyererei females started holding at about 1 1/2 inches, I was very surprised!

I planned on buying a few yellow tailed acei, their colour is beautiful, and with the yellow labs would look great, but going to wait for the outcome of this first.. My green phantom Pleco is very active today.. Usually quite nocturnal, but over the last few days he seems happier.. Maybe he's realised after 2 months in the tank that it's safe haha..x

I planned on buying a few yellow tailed acei, their colour is beautiful, and with the yellow labs would look great, but going to wait for the outcome of this first.. My green phantom Pleco is very active today.. Usually quite nocturnal, but over the last few days he seems happier.. Maybe he's realised after 2 months in the tank that it's safe haha..x

Oh Im very jealous, those are gorgeous! Would love to see a pic :) I got some BN's that I NEVER see haha!

Lost a couple, seems asif their yolk sacs ruptured.. I'm not sure if despite the holes being so small, and the stocking covering it, something is managing to have a go at them.. I know a couple hang round there but a few have disappeared :/

Back
Top Bottom