Yellow Lab is holding...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smithpants94

Aquarium Advice Freak
I took a little peak in my mbuna tank and spy my Yellow Lab holding.... What do I do?!?!?!?!?!

This is the first time this has happened to me and I just need some advice/options/whatever.

Well then your going to need to take the female out and put her in another tank. Then you can wait for her to spit them or you can strip them from her. Then put the female back into the other tank and wait for the fry to grow big in a grow out tank.

SHE SPAT! I have 5 little fishlets but now I have no idea what to do!

Right now they are just chilling on a breeding box in the main tank

smithpants94 said:
SHE SPAT! I have 5 little fishlets but now I have no idea what to do!

Right now they are just chilling on a breeding box in the main tank

They will be fine if you separated them from the bigger ones. Eventually you'll need to move them to a grow out tank to let them get some size on them before putting them back on the main tank. Food wise I'd just get some cichlid flakes and crumble it in your fingers real small to give to them.

+1 to the above post. If you dont have flakes you can also crush pellets to powder to feed them. Ive found putting the pellets in a ziplock bag and using a rolling pin crushes them very nicely.

Thanks guys! But the questions keep coming...

What all do I need to keep these little guys? I know a grow out tank but what do I put in it? Do they need anything special in terms if decor? How do I set up this rank?

Generally I just release them straight from my breeder net at about a half inch. It depends on what you have in the tank I guess. I had Afra, Yellow Labs, and Acei and the fry seemed to do fine, although pushed around a little, so long as you mix around the rocks when adding the fish.

I put shells and little rocks in the breeder net so that they have little territories to claim. It would be unnatural and stress the fish if there are not crevices and places to hide. A grow out tank should probably cover the filter with mesh or nylon if the fry are still small enough to be sucked up. Or use a sponge filter

Back
Top Bottom