Yellow Labs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KryptiCouple said:
He's wanted a Cichlid tank since we started getting into aquariums because of the colors, since we don't have the time or resources right now for a saltwater tank. However, we started out with a 20gal which isn't big enough for cichlids, so we started with tetras and guppies, and when the 65 became available, moved our 20gal into it instead of doing cichlids in it. So he's been jonesing for the cichlids. No worry about him not liking them haha.

I've had saltwater people say salt is easier then african Cichlids, it just costs more. In my experience this has been about the same. But I know guys that have both that have had more problems with a Malawi tank over there salt tanks. Just saying and a heads up

Andrew McFadden said:
I've had saltwater people say salt is easier then african Cichlids, it just costs more. In my experience this has been about the same. But I know guys that have both that have had more problems with a Malawi tank over there salt tanks. Just saying and a heads up

I love the look of saltwater tanks but I'm still gonna wait a few years before I try lol. Sorry to go off thread here. Malawi tanks have the same effect and unlike the fact that you "have" to overstock. I love looking at my tank and easily seeing my fish :)

Andrew McFadden said:

+1 here's one of them :) my saltwater tanks are on auto pilot while I have to monitor the pecking order of my cichlids daily lol...convict would agree probably haha

Our guy is about 1 1/2 - 2" right now... how long do we have to get the other tank set up and cycled? Thankfully, we'll be able to take one of our filters from our current set up to help it along (yay for having 2HOB filters!), but still need an idea of how long we have to get situated.

He's gonna start becoming sexually mature now. Things are gonna keep getting worse until he is housed with fish that can "fight back" and won't be bullied/stressed to death

Would it be possible/cruel to house him in a pre-running 10gal until we get things set up and cycled? As much as I'd hate to move the betta back to the 1.5gal for the time being... I'd rather have live fish than dead ones.

The sooner the better. If he starts harassing the other fish before you get the new tank, I may get yelled at for this, but for a VERY short time you'd have no choice to rehome him in the smaller tank til then. Again though the sooner the better!:)

When the soonest you can get a new tank? If it was me I'd put him in the other tank by him self if I had to. Once you get the other tank I'd do a fish in cycle and do what you said swap the other filter over. It shouldn't take long to fish in cycle using an establish filter.

Andrew McFadden said:
When the soonest you can get a new tank? If it was me I'd put him in the other tank by him self if I had to. Once you get the other tank I'd do a fish in cycle and do what you said swap the other filter over. It shouldn't take long to fish in cycle using an establish filter.

Thought I'd be scolded lol. +1

Unless we can find an awesome deal on CL probably about 2 weeks to get everything. Tank, stand, heater, filter, hood, etc.

KryptiCouple said:
Unless we can find an awesome deal on CL probably about 2 weeks to get everything. Tank, stand, heater, filter, hood, etc.

You only have two well three options
1 put it in the 10 for now
2 re home it to the lfs
3 ask your lfs to hold on to it for a couple weeks
I said 3 but I thought of a couple more lol
4 send it to me lol ;)
5 or take the chance of leaving it where its at

I think I'd take a chance like fishy^^^ was getting at if not option 4 lol. You'll need to keep a close eye on it and make sure it not chasing or nipping if so you'll need to get it out and fast.

He's been in there for 4 days and so far has not been nippy or chasing other fish around he seems to stick to his drift wood or swimming with the other fish.

and as to option 4 if we knew how to ship a fish we might actually take you up on that lol

I have a Lab tank that is a 20g long. I had a male, so thought I'd get a female. Young ones. He chewed her up, so I put a mesh seperator between them until she healed. Two weeks later I removed it and the next morning the male was dead. Returned the female to the store.

Andrew McFadden said:
You only have two well three options
1 put it in the 10 for now
2 re home it to the lfs
3 ask your lfs to hold on to it for a couple weeks
I said 3 but I thought of a couple more lol
4 send it to me lol ;)
5 or take the chance of leaving it where its at

I just "got" option 4, lmao. ::facepalm:: too funny.

Sorry, forgot to add this. They can be really nasty when breeding. They will kill anything in the tank that even comes near them. I hate to say this, because they are beautiful fish, but I would return it and get another when you have a new tank cycled.

AquaTricia said:
I have a Lab tank that is a 20g long. I had a male, so thought I'd get a female. Young ones. He chewed her up, so I put a mesh seperator between them until she healed. Two weeks later I removed it and the next morning the male was dead. Returned the female to the store.

I'm going to answer this because it fits the situation for us to learn here but I'm not saying I know everything lol.
Africans need to be stocked one male to at least 3 females to spread the aggression out some as in labs and even rustys ( as an example their are others) imo should have more then 3 they are just rude when it comes to breeding. or you do an all male tank so you don't have that problem but then you run into other problems. ;)

Andrew McFadden said:
I'm going to answer this because it fits the situation for us to learn here but I'm not saying I know everything lol.
Africans need to be stocked one male to at least 3 females to spread the aggression out some as in labs and even rustys ( as an example their are others) imo should have more then 3 they are just rude when it comes to breeding. or you do an all male tank so you don't have that problem but then you run into other problems. ;)

^^ Well said.

Understood and I agree. With my tank as small as it is, I felt I was unable to have any more than two, and you shouldn't. However, a friend of mine set me up a tank of Jewels, 20g long (a different one) and stocked it with four. Two paired and had two spawns. Then he killed her. Raised 20 fry until they were about a inch or so long and found a home for all but four, counting the male that killed his bride. Of course, they mate for life. And they all are apparently all male. No spawns and no aggressions.
So, when that worked (more or less), I started the 20g Lab tank again. Added four Yellow Labs. Think I got all females, which is ok. They have played together for six months. Can't tell when they're really young whether they are male or female. So I have my Labs again. And no aggression even in that small tank.

Back
Top Bottom