Yellow Labs always hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jibboo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got a question for you all ... I have a 20g with 8 juvie Yellow Labs in it (with some small yo-yos and a juvenile Demasoni).

Since my 55g tank has plants and no rocks, I thought it'd be fun to do a rock structure in the 20g. Well, the labs/demasoni like it so much, that they only ever pop out when I'm dropping food in ... my other cichlids don't hide at all like these guys. I've had them since they were an inch and some of them are probably 1.5"-2" now.

What's with all the hiding? I didn't think cichlids were supposed to be timid.

Cichlids by nature are not timid. If they are hiding it is signifying that something is wrong. What are the water parameters? Specifically Nitrates. I'm assuming that the tank is cycled so Ammonia and Nitrites should be 0. It could be that they are overcrowded or threatened. IMO 20 gal is way too small for African Mbuna but some disagree.

Does the tank have live plants? Have you recently updated the lighting or started dosing?

My africans play in rocks all the time, but they do not hide in the rocks, rather they chase each other through the rocks. I happen to be in agreement with FF, 20 gal is too small for mbuna. Are you using it for a grow out tank?

Back
Top Bottom