your opinion on blood parrots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

what is your opinion on blood parrots

• interesting, but i just dont like the idea of an unatural fish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • total freaks and should never have been allowed to happen

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, my parents are buying me a 55gal+ tank and i went to my LFS the other day to see what they had. My mom said that if we get a big tank then we have to get a blood parrotfish, she fell in love with them. I tried to explain to her how they are freaks, and should have never been allowed to happen. I do like the look of them though, if only they wernt an unnatural fish. I am debating over weather i should add one of them to the tank or not, so i have come for your opinion.

i usually would feel the same way, but i am growing more fond of them, I hate the "balloon" fish species, so i don't see why i am intrigued by this one. I dont know what to think. Besides, i would like to have a fish in the tanks that my mom can enjoy too, she has supported me alot in this hobby.

I think they are hybrid monsters and should be eliminated.
Ethically speaking they are deformed and will only ever suffer.

Having said that, it's entirely up to the individual.. To me, the decision is to keep one of them and prolong it's miserable life, to put it out of its misery or to set an example and not buy one in the first place.

I'd like to suggest the fish you mentioned are more line bred rather then hybrid, mainly to excell their individual traits into a permanent fixture. But to be honest I couldn't be certain as I know little about them.( mainly due to not caring for them to much)

how do you know that hybrids live it pain? Balloon species and fancy goldfish must live the same way aswell.

Now, i really have no opinion about this fish. sure i like it, but i would have never gotten one, but now my mom really want one, thats my dilemma

I have owned several non-dyed Blood Parrots in the past and loved them. They just did not belong with the Africans so we had to find them a new home. Mine did not have any problems eating or swimming. In fact, they always beat the Africans to the food at feeding time.

This is a hot button topic and has become quite heated in the past.

I should have said "Will most likely only ever suffer"

How would you be living with a deformity?
Don't get me wrong, if she wants one, she should get one.
Just giving my personal opinion as requested

People do live with deformities. Not all of them suffer.

That could be another discussion. Be it mentally or physically, would they admit it? or would they try to remain strong and in control? Just food for thought...
Anyhoo, my intention was not to drag off topic.
Apologies WaterPond

I would like to add my opinion. I had one for years, he was the life of the party. One of the frienliest fish I ever encountered. Be that said, I would never own one again. With the mouth deformity he had much trouble eating. I had him in a 180 gallon tank with lot's of fast fish so it was hard to feed him and watching him struggle to suck up food was not fun.

Again, I found him to be a joy but at the same time I feel that this fish should no longer be "made".

i love these little mutants.

it's like the tiny tim effect. sure, they are a bit deformed, but they are so positive and full of life. i just picked up my first pair, and i must say that my eyes welled up when they said, "god bless us, every one." after i acclimated them and saved them from petsmart.

I bought two without knowing that they were man-made.. I like mine a lot so I have a pretty hard time with this pole question. I don't think that its fair to the fish being bred so weak but at the same time I do like them a lot. I'd say get them if you aren't going to get too many aggressive fish as these things won't be able to defend themselves.

I think the part that really makes me mad is that my lfs labels them as "Parrotfish" which is a total misrepresentation as I have found out.

isn't there a natrual parrot fish that isn't an abomination? maybe then it's because the name was misleading. but who hasn't seen a mis-label fish?

Blood parrots are also sometimes referred to as Parrots. It's similar to calling a Cobalt Mbuna a Zebra Mbuna. The Parrotfish that you linked is a saltwater specie. Not even close to a Blood Parrot. I don't see how it was misrepresented unless they had the BP in the saltwater section.

Back
Top Bottom