1 gallon nano help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright guys, so for the 1 gallon what corals could I do? And for the five gallon, what kind of colorful fish are reef-safe, and could be properly stocked in a reef tank? And do I have to cycle the tanks again? Like will the salinity of the water kill the bacteria?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There are 0 fish that could go in a 1 gallon tank. For corals I'd do softies like zoanthids and mushrooms/ricordea. Maybe an acan or two for lps

There are 0 fish that could go in a 1 gallon tank. For corals I'd do softies like zoanthids and mushrooms/ricordea. Maybe an acan or two for lps

Thanks, and I'm thinking of making the 5 gallon and the 1gallon both reef tanks

5 gallon would be better to do little more options. 1 gallon would be good for a rock of zoas and a hermit and a bumble bee snail

Ok guys, I went to my LFS and asked about cycling my 5 gal. He said that I should get a couple little rocks out of their live rock collection. And he said that I don't need a protein skimmer, just weekly water changes, he said I just need a hydrometer, as the refractometers are better for bigger tanks. I found a cool rock that is half zoas, and half mushrooms, it looks like a mountain. He also said that After I put in the sand, saltwater, and live rock, that I should just let it run for about a month, and check my parameters til it's cycled. He said I didn't need to dose with ammonia, and that the live rock would cycle the tank. Is this true? Are these answers good advice? If anyone has any better help please chime in.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If the rock is really live, it will bring bacteria into the tank yes...but it won't fully cycle a tank. You should still supply an ammonia source to ensure there is a large enough bacteria colony to support livestock.
Hydrometers are simply inaccurate thanks to air bubbles. The refractometers don't care about the size of the tank, it just more accurately shows the salinity.
A month is a good rough estimate for cycling a tank. You want to make sure that in 24 hours there is no detectable ammonia after presenting an ammonia source.

When I started my 8g. My lfs told me not to add ammonia because in such a small tank it could take your levels through the roof. I just took some rock from my other tank and put it in my 8g and it skipped cycle. If you or a friend have an established tank try to grab some rock out of there and it will help.

My uncle has a 30 gallon reef tank, should I just get some live rock from him? And will zoas kill other corals?

My uncle has a 30 gallon reef tank, should I just get some live rock from him? And will zoas kill other corals?

Next time he does a water change ask him if he has any cycled filter material. Sponges, filter floss, live rock, etc. all this will help but will not cycle your tank. Like everyone prior to me has said, you need to make sure enough ammonia is being added in and the sure fire way to be certain (and in this hobby you should be as certain as you can be for the welfare of the animals:)) that you will start your cycle is by adding an ammonia source such as a cocktail shrimp or pure ammonia itself.

Cheers. ??

Is there a way to make live rock? Or do I have to buy it from my LFS or get some from him

And do I need a sump for the tank? Or is it fine with the live rock In the tank itself

Yes you can make live rock. You just have to google how to do it. There's many different ways.

You do not need a sump for a tank that small, your live rock will suffice. You can use a HOB filter with some filter floss or carbon and you'll be good.

Hey guys, got the green light from my parents, I am getting a new five gallon for the nano tank, as I'm looking for a bigger footprint than the hex. And I saw stuff on the fluval spec 5 gallon, is that a good tank to use? I am just trying to get a 5 gallon tank with better footprint so I can keep more corals. Any good ideas? I'm going to buy the water and live rock today, and was going to buy the tank also today after school. So any suggestions are appreciated.

Welp, just came back home from the LFS, got the new Fluval Spec V, and got 5 lbs of live rock, and some saltwater. I have some African cichlids caribsea sand, and my LFS told me that I could use it with the saltwater tank, but It will take a little longer to cycle. Is this true? Like is it reef and saltwater safe? Or should I go buy new live sand? I am on a tight budget and if I can use the African cichlid sand, then I will. But if it isn't saltwater safe I won't. And I will be posting pics as I go. I have a top fin filter rated for a 10 gallon that I might put on with the Fluval filter

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hey guys, I decided I'm going to make this 1 gallon a saltwater tank too. I was wondering if I should just use it to raise brine shrimp? Or should I use it as a frag tank?

Back
Top Bottom