1 year old 14 gallon biocube w sebae anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTrav13

Aquarium Advice Activist
As of now I have a 1 year old 14 gallon biocube.
Livestock: 2 Black Clowns, 6 Lined Wrasse, Coral Banded Shrimp, and a Sebae Anemone
Corals: 4 different Mushrooms, 5 headed Frogspawn, Candy Apple Polyps, Green Star Polyps

I'm looking to add some more color to the tank. I've had huge success with the Frogspawn and I prefer the look of LPS. I'm running stock lighting (2x24watt pc's). The frogspawn used to be 10 heads but I split it and gave 5 to a friend because it was getting to big for my tank. Any suggestions?

I'm also about to replace my bulbs but I'm thinking of upgrading to something a little more powerful, however, with 14 gallons, I know they're prone to overheating when they have too much lighting. Does anyone have any recommendations, as I think buying a chiller would be far too costly for such a small tank. I attached a picture of the tank itself. Any questions, comments, or constructive criticism is welcome.

I took this picture this morning so not everything was out coral-wise but the second picture is from a couple of months ago without the sebae and I took some things out.

Attachments

• image-149657935.jpg
    image-149657935.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 330
  • image-2160802482.jpg
    image-2160802482.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 291
hows that nem doing with the stock lighting? I see its towards the bottom in the morning shot. does it move toward the top of the tank with lights on? I didn't think the 2x24W PC bulbs were enough for a nem.

might try some Acans. great color, big polyps. I love em.

you can upgrade to LEDs for ~ 200$ if you DIY them.

he's done surprisingly well. i just got him a week ago and he seems to be doing perfect. i put him there when i first got him and he hasn't moved since. he opens up nicely and stays there the whole day. i added an extra hour to my light cycle since i got him, but i did order led's and they're on their way. hopefully he makes it that long!

That sebae is very bleached. It should not be white. Your lights are no where near strong enough for it.

that's exactly how i bought him and he hasn't changed a bit. there were 4-5 other anemones all the same exact color. i asked the guy at the lfs that i bought it from and he said that's there normal coloration.

The Sebae looks healthy to me too. There r white ones. My LFS has a white 1 that's gorgeous. Course it may not fare well in the long run without proper lighting.

There is no such thing as a healthly WHITE anemone.
Please take the time to read this article....
HeteracCrispa
"Color is important... Though there naturally tan to light brown (as well as purple, grey, blue...) specimens, there are no naturally-occurring white ones..."

Here's the sebae in my tank that I've had for about 8 yrs. This is it's natural color.
sebae_11-18-09.jpg

Crabs said:
The Sebae looks healthy to me too. There r white ones. My LFS has a white 1 that's gorgeous. Course it may not fare well in the long run without proper lighting.

I agree with crabs. I read the article, however, I have a buddy who got his at a different LFS store around here and his is the exact same color as mine and he's running halides over his. He has a 55 gallon and has had the anemone for over a year now I know my pc's are insufficient but my LEDs get here on Saturday.

Maybe the people who manufactured it dyed it or something.

Yeah, just because urs is off white doesn't mean all species r the same. Look at the images online and u can find many color variations. I think the (Bleached) white r the prettiest. My LFS deals strictly in marine aquaria and knows what he's doing. And he's not bleaching them for aesthetic purposes

I'm sorry guys, but a bleached anemone isn't a healthy one. The sebae in your tank is clearly bleached. I was going to suggest that perhaps the picture isn't doing the anemone justice; but if you are suggesting it really is white then it is bleached. As for your LFS, why would he bleach one on purpose in the first place?

Obviously u don't get it. I'll spell it out. H e w o u l d n ' t

"And he's not bleaching them for aesthetic purposes"

Sorry, that statement led me to believe he was bleaching them for other reasons. Either way, glad he's not.

The FACT is there is no such thing as a healthy white anemone!
For your reading pleasure....
Sebae Anemone, Leathery Sea Anemone, Sea Anemone Facts and Sea Anemone Pictures of Heteractis crispa
"Sebae Anemones are known to suffer from shipping stress and will often releases their zooxanthalle in transport. Sometimes, to enhance their appeal, captive specimens are bleached out so they are also white in color. If they are white, their chances of survival are slim."

Sea Anemone
"Far to often I see photos of recently purchased anemones that are white. While a white anemone may appear beautiful, it is however, a very bad sign that the anemone has bleached. Keep in mind that anemone, just like most corals, have zooxanthellae within their tissues, hence the need for intensive lighting just as you would provide for most corals. Being white simply indicates that the anemone has expelled or lost its symbiotic zooxanthellae, which without, the anemone can slowly decline and die."

Reef Safe Anemones For The Reef Aquarium
"The rule is this: if the Sebae is yellow, green or even a shade of brown, then the zooxanthellae is healthy and you have a much better chance of keeping it alive. If the Sebae is white, avoid it at all costs no matter what the salesman tells you! After all, they are SALESmen!"

Well we can argue this matter forever. If I could keep a white Sebae alive for over 3 years when it's supposedly unhealthy. Then hopefully everything I keep in my aquariums are unhealthy. But if its that important, I'LL concede. You're right

Crabs said:
Well we can argue this matter forever. If I could keep a white Sebae alive for over 3 years when it's supposedly unhealthy. Then hopefully everything I keep in my aquariums are unhealthy. But if its that important, I'LL concede. You're right

Can't argue that.

Sort of reminds me of people who have dogs or cats and don't feed them properly, or bathe them, or provide them proper shelter. I'm sure you've seen that on ASPCA commercials. What's their mentality? Even tho the animals are skinny, fur is matted or missing and are outside freezing, they aren't dead. They must be doing something right since they are still alive.

Just sayin....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom