10 gallon fish choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the clown is fine if you get an ocellaris or percula (not sure if I spelled those right) but I'd pass on the royal gramma and get just a goby.

You should wait till the tank builds up with pods then get a mandarin goby. I have a 10 gal and have tried all the nano fish and most jump out. You could also do an electric blue damsel, they are pretty fish. Do not do more than 1 fish in a 10 gallon.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do not put a mandarin in a 10, you will not be able to support it. Even if it's eating frozen the amount of feeding you would have to do would foul your water quickly. A mandarin needs a lot of LR to graze and hunt and will wipe out the pod population in days in a 10 gal.

I kept a mandarin in a 10 gallon reef for over a year till I had to take it down when I moved. I had live rock sand and corals. I only fed the system for what corals would need to feed. It had a nice pod population and that is all the mandarin ate. I never fed him once.

I kept a mandarin in a 10 gallon reef for over a year till I had to take it down when I moved. I had live rock sand and corals. I only fed the system for what corals would need to feed. It had a nice pod population and that is all the mandarin ate. I never fed him once.

You got extremely lucky basically.

If you research them as long as you have pods for them to feed on they will survive in captivity. From me supplying the system with phyto and the upkeep of the reef system built a natural habitat where the pods and other organisms were able to keep populating. I don't feel it's luck. Its just figuring out how to do it.

I agree with bribo, you got extremely lucky. It's good that you did all the research but I highly doubt the pod population alone in a 10 could sustain one unless you frequently added pods. I think it must of been eating your coral food as well. Either way I stand by my statement that mandarins do not belong in a 10

If you research them as long as you have pods for them to feed on they will survive in captivity. From me supplying the system with phyto and the upkeep of the reef system built a natural habitat where the pods and other organisms were able to keep populating. I don't feel it's luck. Its just figuring out how to do it.

I disagree. If this were true there wouldn't be so many stories of people having theirs slowly starve to death over time and there would be many more successes. Feeding phyto leads to algae issues. Our tanks don't support the same natural ecosystem as an entire ocean.

You make valid points. I guess it is luck. I don't know what else to say. I didn't realise they were that hard to keep. It was easy for me.

I do notice that some people have no luck and others have a ton haha. Just seems you have good luck with them :)

Yeah. Mandarins are BEAUTIFUL fish but I have no interest in dealing with something that picky. We'll see what I can find once it's cycled. Probably goby pistol shrimp pair and 1 other fish of some sort.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That would be cool. Good luck. Post updates.

Use this post from nano reef, its great and i have used it quite a bit with my two nano tanks

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/?p=676626

Well, there are a couple problems with Ingreens. He marks a couple fish where a novice shouldn't keep them, and doesn't mark the specifications to have them in that tank. For example, he says you can keep a Coral Beauty in a 20. Yes, you can, but he doesn't mention it can be difficult or that it will be the only fish in there, until it's trained correctly.

Good point, i think its just a good reference, not law. I think if you look he has green as beginner, black text for intermediate @ red for expert. As with any guide, you still have to do your research.

Back
Top Bottom