Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Nano Reefs
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

10 Gallon Help

10 gallon tank with a AQ 20 HOB, I am interested in starting a nano reef with a pair of clownfish. Other than the crushed coral bottom, 10 pounds of dry rock, what else do I need? Can I use distilled water instead of RODI?

Old 12-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Heater, lights, Api test kit , hydrometer if your on a budget or a refractometer if your willing to spend more. Of course you can use distilled, although it still might have traces of metal from the copper pipping it goes through. Ive personally used nothing but tap and dechlorination with no problems but its a gamble.
Most people on here are gonna tell you that you need the most expensive everything to have a successful reef, but from experience i started my 10 gal nano 9 months ago with not a clue about this hobby and so far put 180$ into it. I couldn't be happier with it.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

use rodi from the start and youll run into no issues later on, by using tap most of the time your replacing nutrients with more nutrients. Two clowns cant be housed in a 10, its cruel they need a 30 minimum. Instead look at firefish or clown gobys.

Crushed coral is seen a detritus trap in saltwater reefs, aragonite would be better. You should also buy a good reef quality test kit (api is notoriously false) (Redsea makes good tests).

Get a reef quality salt, and cycle using a cocktail shrimp (sniperhank can elaborate or you can look up methods of cycling fishless.) Youll need lights for a reef, a par38 bulb will work perfect.
Old 12-05-2014, 12:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree that tap water is bad. I used tap water before and lets say the green hair algae goes crazy. I just bought a rodi unit and I fully regret using tap water. Of course water bill disagrees with me. If you really want a clownfish. You can put one in the 10 gallon. I'm not sure if others will agree with me. I recommend you to get a bigger tank, much easier and less work.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 12-05-2014, 01:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4127john View Post
I agree that tap water is bad. I used tap water before and lets say the green hair algae goes crazy. I just bought a rodi unit and I fully regret using tap water. Of course water bill disagrees with me. If you really want a clownfish. You can put one in the 10 gallon. I'm not sure if others will agree with me. I recommend you to get a bigger tank, much easier and less work.

its a common misconception, check online and research it, the health of the fish requires a 30 but agree on what you said otherwise.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is there any type of RO/DI system that is better than the other? Is it okay to store your your filtered water and pre made salt water in the garage in a plastic garbage can?
Old 12-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

just keep it heated and any rodi will do people like brs

Old 12-05-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

10 Gallon Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by t57spikes View Post
Is there any type of RO/DI system that is better than the other? Is it okay to store your your filtered water and pre made salt water in the garage in a plastic garbage can?

Yes it's alright. Just make sure you have a lid on the saltwater to prevent evaporation as best you can. Test the salinity before you go to use it, if any evaporated your salinity will test higher than it was. If it is just add more filtered freshwater to replace the evaporated water to get the salinity levels back to where you want them.

Another thing, I'm not sure if storing it in the garage would be good. Depends on the temperatures where you live. Water has a higher density at lower temperatures. This may affect your SG giving an inaccurate reading. But I'm not sure. I do know that if you're using a refractometer it has to be calibrated temperature wise so like Matt said, either keep it heated or keep it inside at room temperature.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I live in southeast texas so its HOT 9 months out of the year. I could get a heater to keep it warm in the winter. Thanks for the help!

Tags
10 gallon, gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com