10 gallon lighting advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the Ray 2 18" is exactly what I want? I just really want something that will last and I don't need to change out bulbs or anything. I also don't want it to break! But I suppose that could happen with any electrical appliance. If this is a trustworthy item then I am happy to spend the money on it. Especially since Amazon has some sort of warranty on it. I just don't want to throw away 85 dollars. Will this be a better idea then going to Home Depot to see if they have something that will fit my bulbs from my old fixture? Honestly I don't think they'd fit into anything else, they are odd and I don't even know if they still work.

I appreciate your suggestions Joshfishguy! I believe I will stick with the Ray 2, though. I don't have any Petsmarts near me to check out, and Petco doesn't seem to have what I'm looking for.

So wattage is different in LEDs than in CFLs? It's the PAR that really matters, right? And even though it's 18" it'll still be okay for my 20" tank? I have a glass hood it can rest on.

Hoping to hear your responses soon because there is limited stock left on Amazon for this light!

okapizebra said:
So wattage is different in LEDs than in CFLs? It's the PAR that really matters, right? And even though it's 18" it'll still be okay for my 20" tank? I have a glass hood it can rest on.

Yes wattage for LEDs and CFLs aren't the same at all. First off, LEDs are directional which means all of their light energy shines in one general direction, unlike fluorescents. They don't use as much electricity creating heat either. They really are superior. PAR is what you want to look at. Small power compact lights don't produce as much PAR as most LEDs and they loose their color over time and need to be replaced.

It would be wonderful if they had a 20" but the 18" will work fine. Just install the legs and let it stand on the glass. That'll give you a better spread even though the Finnex fixtures already have a really nice spread. If you want to just put the light right on the glass without the legs and the light spread is still covering all of the tank that will be fine too. Some people even like it to be a bit darker at the very corners to give the tank an interesting look.

I appreciate your advice!! Thanks a bunch.

I think I will give this light a try then. :)

Man, this light is awesome! Totally worth the money, assuming it lasts, lol. Way cooler than my last light. It lights up the whole tank so well. Very happy with it! Here's a pic I took on my phone, although it doesn't do it justice.

ForumRunner_20130102_171716.jpg

Of course, my only issue is that it didn't come in 20", but I don't mind resting it on the glass. Still looks great.

Back
Top Bottom