10 gallon lighting advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

okapizebra

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone. I would love some suggestions on a light for my 10 gallon reef. I only want to keep easy corals like zoas. What lighting does xenia require? I'd love to have one of those as well. Currently I have two zoa frags. I have been using this light: Odyssea Power Compact Light but just a few days ago it broke :( I really loved the color it put out.

My question, though, is whether I should order the same one or if I should get something different? I was hoping for something less than 60 dollars. I'm afraid if I order the same light I might encounter the same problem... It just started smoking from the electrical box on the power cord. Nothing touched it, no water or anything so I have no idea what happened. I've only had it for around a month.

Any suggestions or advice would be well appreciate! :)

You could contact Odyssea and see if they will send you a new ballast. They probably won't because none of their stuff carries a warranty but it won't hurt to try.
I'm sure you can find a replacement ballast somewhere if you don't want to deal with Odyssea.

Staying on the cheap and reef lighting usually don't go hand in hand.

I did contact Aquatraders and they told me they couldn't replace it but it didn't cross my mind to try and contact Odyssea themselves. I will have to give that a try.

Well I was hoping not to have to fork out a ton of money for a few corals...... I only want a few and it doesn't seem reasonable to have to pay 100+ for them. If all else fails I will simply give this light another try...

Do you know how to contact them? I tried a google search and I can't find a website for their company.

AquaTraders is how you contact them. They don't even have a replacement they could sell you?

Hehe, that's what everyone says when they first start. Then you end up collecting more and more corals.

You can likely find a replacement ballast at Lowes, or somewhere like that. Shouldn't cost too much and is an easy fix.

I'm not sure. They just told me I couldn't get any sort of refund/discount/replacement or anything. I would just have to buy the same thing again with the bulbs. Having extra bulbs wouldn't be bad though, I could save them for when it's time to change them out.

I'll have to go check out Lowes then. Thanks!

I guess I will stick with this unless there is something else out there.

I would call the day after Xmas and throw a fit that it was busted upon set up and had been carefully stored and the receipt is lost. Get a shrill voiced lady friend to do the talking? Works for me

Well.. I have been using it for around a month and for that whole time it has worked properly. LOL. Perhaps I can give it a try though...

The answer they gave you on the phone seemed stupid to me. One month? And you should be responsible to replace the whole dang thing?

PSSSH! Whatever.

On the other hand it's a DIY opportunity right? I've been technically responsible for most of my busted equipment. Except a tank and I replaced it with a bigger one ;)

I know, right?!

I really have like, zero DIY skills, though. Do I just go and find a 20 inch light fixture and stick in my bulbs?

Aquatraders offers no warrantee, but they do sell replacement parts...
http://www.aquatraders.com/category-s/26.htm
Legally, they don't have to do anything and they are not known for the best customer support.

Note, there will be no warrantee on the replacement parts either. You might be better off taking the ballast to Lowes and talking with the lighting guy about something to replace it. At least that ballast will have some type of warrantee.

Current has a Nova Extreme in 20 inches. Should be under $100, I think.

I don't think there are any replacement parts that would work for my fixture. Looks like they are all for either T5 or LED. They did tell me I could send it in and get it fixed or something, but it didn't seem worth it. It would probably cost me more in shipping to get it fixed then to just buy a new one.

Would Home Depot do something similar? I don't have a Lowes close by.

Sure. Just bring the old ballast with you and tell the guy what it powers he/she should be able to help you.

Try led 10 gallon you can put three lights in and they can all be different colors for different things

Do you have some links of stuff I can look at for LEDs? I have no idea what to even search. From what I've heard, it seems LEDs are very expensive. But I've also heard they are very reliable and save money in the long run.

For soft corals a 20" Finnex Ray 2 would be great. You'll be able to keep loads of zoas, xenia, mushrooms and even a toadstool leather and a trumpet coral. No need to replace any bulbs either. You can find them on amazon.

You're right. It's 18". It's been a while since I've kept a 10 gallon. It's not supposed to be super bright. Were talking soft corals over a very shallow tank. This is a perfect amount of light for that purpose. My last 10 gallon reef had only 2 15 watt T8 fluorescents and it was overrun with soft corals. That's far less light than the Ray 2 puts out even using less total watts.

Hi measure the hood length go to petsmart if you have one if not then go to some other place at petsmart they have plenty of what you need go to there website but go to store you can look at the different lights??

Back
Top Bottom