10 gallon nano-reef coming together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10gal_nano

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bought a 10 gallon tank at a yard sale for $10 ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393383523.737810.jpg
Installed a 20 gallon new aqueon 4 stage filter and a petco jet.

This is my first saltwater tank. I also have a 55 gallon freshwater tank.

I then painted the back black with krylon black (be sure to mask really well. Also it is very easy to scratch. So be careful) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393383763.042506.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393383901.052076.jpg

I then went to living reef aquarium and bought
-10 gallons of salt water
-20 pounds of live sand
- 8-12 pounds of live rock
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393383884.825590.jpg

Waiting for it to clear up.

Lighting will be coming within the week or early next week. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393383980.215514.jpg
Thanks for looking, subscribe to see my progress. Thanks, joe.

Now just go get your self a thawed table shrimp, put it in a media bag and throw it in the tank for about a week

Media bag? What will this do? Thanks. It's my first reef tank so I may ask stupid questions

A filter media bag you can get them from a pet store for a dollar. The shrimp will decay and add ammonia to the tank to kick start your cycle. You put it in the bag so you can just pull the bag out. You can also use pure ammonia and dose it up a couple times

Ok. Thanks. My friend said that there was a bottle of "booster" does that work too?? Thanks

IMO no none of those are really worth spending money on. Nothing will replace the cycle

Ok, should I do the shrimp now or when the water clears up. And how long do I need to do it for. Thanks, joe

You can add it now. You should also take out any media your running in the filter for the cycle
Edit : leave it in for 5-7 days, you should have a good spike in ammonia by then

Ok. Thanks. My friend said that there was a bottle of "booster" does that work too?? Thanks

The only bottle "booster" I will say actually works and works very well! Is Special Blend! I absolutely love the stuff and I make sure I use it in all my tanks. It will get your cycle going and over pretty quickly with the good bacteria that you need. You can pick it up at a store like PETCO or maybe local fish store.

How close to the glass on the front and sides are your rocks? You should give your self 2-3 inches so you can clean the glass

Back
Top Bottom