10 gallon reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey Everyone,

So I can only have a 10g tank in my college dorm room, and the crazy thought of a saltwater tank with maybe a couple firefish or a small blenny would be kind of neat. What would it take to start a 10g tank? What fish can live in 10g? Can any corals be kept in 10g? How much live rock would i need? How much live sand would I need? What kind of klighting would I need? What kind of filtration? How hard is a 10g SW tank going to be if it is my first SW tank? I'm assuming it'd be pretty damn difficult.

Thanks,

Mike

Being a college student, your first saltwater tank and it being a 10 gallon I'm going to say this is going to be diffucult, just because you probably won't have lots of time for it.

You would be able to keep one maybe two small fish. IMO firefish shoudn't be kept in such a small tank and they will jump so it will have to be covered at all times.

I have a 10 gallon nano reef. It has about 20 lbs of lr. IDK how much sand, 2 inch deep with a 32 watt coralife pc fixture.

You can get corals, depending on what corals you want to get, you can decide what light is best. It will be anywere from $30 to $150 depending on what corals you want.

I wouldn't do it. Just cause it costs a lot for setup and then you wont have time for it, unless all you do is sit in your dorm room all day. And then when December comes you have to pack it up and take it home and then bring it back end of January, or at least that was how long my winter break was and you couldn't go into the dorms during those two months or so.

A little 5 gallon betta tank works great :) only lke $40 for the tank, fish, food, heater, and filter. lol

Back
Top Bottom