10 Gallon Reef Help Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm starting a 10 Gallon reef for my desk at work and I was looking for advice. So, I have the 10 gallon tank, 10 Pounds of Live Rock, 10 Pounds of Argonite sand, Eheim Heater, Aquaclear 20 filter (what should I run in my filter), 10 gallons Distilled water, Salt mix, Hydrometer, API test kit, Nano powerhead, and I think that is it except lighting.

What lights should I use since I plan to keep corals?

For stock I'm thinking A cleaner shrimp and 2 Gobies, or maybe just 2 of the smaller species clown fish, any suggestions?

Well, to decide on lighting you first need to choose on what type of corals you want to keep.

I just set up my first reef 2 months ago, I'm using a MarsAqua LED tile (aka, a cheap Chinese knock-off) and it is definitely capable of growing most corals.

As far as fish go, a lot of people will try to push you away from pretty much anything other than a single Goby.

I'm not saying they're wrong to do that, but I'm not a Goby fan, so I got a single juvenile Perc Clown and am thinking about a Cleaner/Fire Shrimp.

You could consider a Blue Damsel, Royal Gramma, Tailspot Blenny, various Gobies, True/False Perc Clowns, ect...

I'm sure the pro's will soon arrive and give you more info.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not a nano pro, but all I would run in the HOB filter is a the standard floss/carbon pad it comes with. Something that's easy to rinse/change out. If your filter is not cleaned regularly you may see a nitrate rise, so I would suggest rinsing this pad weekly.

I had a 2 gallon for a period of time and ran no sponges at all, just ran Matrix (to give as much surface area as possible for bacteria) and a bag of
Purigen, and could recommend the same for you.

Nitrates do rise very easily so be prepared to test and do water changes weekly...

My 10 gal
- 12-15 lbs live rock
- 20 lbs live sand
- quiet flow 20
- hydor power head
- par 38. Never liked it. Have a wavepoint 12 inch now. Like it much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom