10 gallon saltwater reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've seen ALOT of threads lately asking if its hard or is bigger better etc etc etc.

Well those are valid questions when entering the saltwater world. I just wanted to share my friend AJ's 10 gallon tank with everyone to kind of show you that yes!! You can have a small tank and yet a beautiful tank also!

All he does is weekly water changes. His lights are 2 Par30's, his filter/fuge is a AC110, a heater and 2 nano power heads.

So.... It can be done.

image-1555898304.jpg

image-3588550205.jpg

image-3475418883.jpg

image-3505228391.jpg

Excuse me while I pick up my jaw from the floor. Your friend is doing a great job. Thanks for sharing! :)

Awesome

How does he have to ac110 set up? Is there chaeto in it?

Excuse me while I pick up my jaw from the floor. Your friend is doing a great job. Thanks for sharing! :)

X2 on that! WOW what a tank! I was wondering if there was anybody else in the world that was doing what I'm attempting to do. It appears it is possible to do a 10G Reef. I'm still not sure about lights though.

I'm considering this: Anybody with thoughts about this?

Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-AL01 White Aquarium Coral Reef Tank LED Grow Light (120W Output, Blue/White Ratio- 25:30; Two-Year Warranty): Patio, Lawn & Garden

I don't have any experience with those lights but I now try are VERY popular around here and other places and people have good things to say about them.

I don't have any experience with those lights but I now try are VERY popular around here and other places and people have good things to say about them.

One of those Taotronics is less than the two that AJ is using and looks like it will do the job. I've been asking around but haven't gotten any answers from people that own them. Thanks for the quick reply. (y)

One of those Taotronics is less than the two that AJ is using and looks like it will do the job. I've been asking around but haven't gotten any answers from people that own them. Thanks for the quick reply. (y)

Yup it is cheaper, I don't think he knew about them when he started and I'm not gonna tell him lol.

But from what I've heard around the forums, people are very happy with them.

I heard from Mr. X and he said to get dimmable. He thinks it may be a bit of overkill for a 10g but since I'm hanging it from the ceiling I'll be able to control the intensity by adjusting the height and/or dimming, plus it's got a few different settings, so I can adjust there as well. I pulled the trigger, and will post pics on my build thread: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092LXQRM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
:dance:

I heard from Mr. X and he said to get dimmable. He thinks it may be a bit of overkill for a 10g but since I'm hanging it from the ceiling I'll be able to control the intensity by adjusting the height and/or dimming, plus it's got a few different settings, so I can adjust there as well. I pulled the trigger, and will post pics on my build thread: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0092LXQRM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
:dance:

Yeah Doug (Mr. X) definitely knows so whatever he says I'd go with. He helped me with my saltwater lighting also.

Is it possible to put any fish in the 10g? Or would it be invertebrates only?

The owner of the Lfs has a 12g nano. Two clowns two Rosie anemones, beautiful tank I may be going for something like that. His Rosie's are huge.

That's a regular household light bulb, the screw type, energy efficient.

I've been reading Evansimp's build page and it looks like I should be adding a UV sterilizer sooner rather than later. I was wondering if your friend was using one and if so, kind and location? I figured that must be it over top of the filter. I haven't had a chance to do much research on them yet, but have read here and there about a $40.00 one found on Ebay. Prolly the way I'll go, but since we're talking about it, Your Thoughts Convict?

Convict, I'm wondering how old is AJ's tank? Did he buy most of his corals at those sizes or have they been growing for a while?

Convict, I'm wondering how old is AJ's tank? Did he buy most of his corals at those sizes or have they been growing for a while?

His tank is I'd say over a year and half maybe two years. He's had it's get them I've had my cube and I'm a year and half almost.

He bought the corals small, as frags. He doesn't dose anything or use anything other then reef crystals. He does a small water change once a week. I think he said 2 gallons.

I'll speak with him today and get more information and post it.

Back
Top Bottom