10g LR nano - canister or power filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nuclear Queen

Aquarium Advice Regular
In a 10g wLR fish&invertebrate tank, which would be better: a 3 stage 265GPH canister filter or a 400GPH HOB power filter? I'm really conflicted because I know the canister would support a lot of biofiltration, but the power filter would go through almost double the water.

I happen to like canisters, if only for the neatness and volume. The hang on will make noise and cant have as much filter media as the canister would i think. :)

I happen to like canisters, if only for the neatness and volume. The hang on will make noise and cant have as much filter media as the canister would i think. :)

Good points! Would the canister rattle around on its lil feet? That'd drive my crazy, especially if it echoed around in the cabinet.

None of my canister filters had little legs, but you can always place it on a washcloth or something if it does rattle. :)

Yeah I second placing a small towel underneath, my 304 is dead silent. Canisters are the way to go hands down. HOBs are convenient but not as good as a canister IMO

Most of the time you get more water volume through a canister. Unless you have the fluval aqua clear. Those things can do some high amounts of water. Check out the specs compared to a fluval canister of the same tank size.

One more thought if your going canister it's probably cheaper to build a sump, that way you'll have more volume and better filtration.

Back
Top Bottom