14 gallon flower-cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sand dollar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am cycling my old biocube to set back up as my RFA tank. Last summer I decided to experiment and breed RFAs. This March I had a successful spawning but the problem is it's an ugly set up with an old 10 gal under the cabinet. I'm ready to move them to a spot where I can really enjoy them.

Will have to add screen or netting cover the overflow so the babies don't get sucked back there. I also have extra new bulbs for the lid but think I eventually want to upgrade to a Kessil 160w lighting. Current set up. Not sure if I will add fish, gorgonians or macro algae or just leave as RFA only.

I think the shell shelf will be a perfect spot for an RFA to be displayed.

I have 8 RFAs and lots of tiny babies waiting for the upgraded tank to be ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm so excited! It's happening!! I bought my first new nem today and it went in the cube and I glued up the screens to the overflow so the babies don't get sucked up. I put in new lights and started moving some nems over. So far I have the new nem and two of my smaller nems that weren't too close to baby action. I also moved a nursery with about 8 baby nems. I'm really excited to have these in a display tank instead of under the counter!! I'll be moving a few babies a day until everything is over and then will move my other big nems and rocks. Yay! Did I mention I'm excited!!

Did I mention I'm excited!!

yes you did ;) sounds like fun all over again , I found one on online action said it was 20 than I keyed in it was already up in the 300s are they insane for a nem
looked sweet but that just a bit rich for my blood. thinking once I finish the basement up 30g hex gorges and nems along with seahorses and pipe fish(y)

$300 is insane!! Most of mine I've gotten for $20-30, a couple for $40 and maybe one for $50/60 but I had some credit to cover part of it. If I can make enough baby nems and sell them for $300 a pop then maybe I can retire early, LOL! ?

Moving all the babies to the new tank is turning out to be more tedious than I expected. I can only move 3-5 a day so I don't stir up the sand bed too much. I have about 10-12 moved over so far. I did find some bigger babies though! Below is comparison.

Most of my babies' size

New big babies... Maybe 5 of them I've found so far. yay!

finally got a email the balance of my order is going to ship mon . should I hold my breath
I just ordered a bunch from Utopia , so I'm going to have a bunch I may have to share a few in the reef tank . I got to move the rose bud as slowly he is creeping into a rock crevice , he don't want to let his foot go any tips to get him let go ,

That's great news! Lots of new nems!!

How big is the crevice? They do like to bury or protect their foot and retract to safety, but still open up on top of the rock for most of the day. But if it's so big you think it's going to hide all the time then you could try to move it. If you can pick up the rock, then turn it so the nem is vertical/almost upside down and that sometimes make it move down the rock. They are easier to remove when they are walking since they aren't firmly attached. If you can point a power head at it that may irritate it enough to pick up and start walking. I've heard rubbing an ice cube (in a plastic bag) on the foot can get them to let go but it didn't work for me the one time I tried.

it's about a inch than the one below that is the grand canyon , where it's at now wedged in the crevice it don't seem to open full like it did so if i move it more to like a flat overhang i think it will spread out fully and be real happy

finally got a email the balance of my order is going to ship mon . should I hold my breath
I just ordered a bunch from Utopia , so I'm going to have a bunch I may have to share a few in the reef tank . I got to move the rose bud as slowly he is creeping into a rock crevice , he don't want to let his foot go any tips to get him let go ,

Point a weak power head at it for a few mins or I've had success using frozen water bottles near it to cool the water around it and they'll usually let go

This is an awesome idea sand dollar, I've always wanted an rfa garden ;)

Excited to see this bad boy!! Glad to see it getting ready sand dollar!!

Excited to see this bad boy!! Glad to see it getting ready sand dollar!!

Hey, glad to have you check in! I'm excited too! Can't wait to fill it up.

This is an awesome idea sand dollar, I've always wanted an rfa garden ;)

What's stopping you, Red!!?!

It's moving day! Woke up to my par 38 light not working on the old flower nem tank, so I'm going to be moving nems all day now. Still trying to do all the babies first and just a few at a time so I don't miss any or trap them in the sand. Hopefully I will get them all moved over today. Nursery is full so I'm starting a baby corner and will put the adults out front and on the rocks last.

It's been a stressful day. I moved most nems successfully but I'm scare I may have torn the foot on one. It's opened up and looks ok now but the foot was pretty bad...long story I don't want to bore you with but I thought I could pull it out on the screen, but it was attached to the floor and a rock so it tore :( I'm vey sad, but have become a little more hopeful since it seems to be opening and attaching in the new tank. Hopefully it will heal, I feel terrible.

In other exciting news we are having horrible thunderstorms and have lost power for about an hour so far...hope it comes back soon or I'm going to have bigger problems with the tanks soon. :(

sounds like a busy day , I've heard of nems getting tore apart and survive also fraging them
so I don't think a ripped foot would be to fatal . don't stress it should be ok
as for power going out you can use a air tube and blow bubbles to keep oxygen in water every 45 min or so
I lost power 4 days a while back with no ill effects , I stirred water once and a while with a plastic cooking spoon and blew bubbles

Last edited:
It has survived over 24 hours and attached so I'm hoping that's a good sign. It isn't opening all the way for me to see how it's mouth looks but everything else looks healthy right now.

Everyone seems to have found their spot and...well, I'm going to need a LOT more nems to fill this tank up!!

Full tank, the white dish will come out when babies get bigger or all more out.

The injured one is the big one on the left corner of rock

Dynamic duo

My first love, my little mama nem.

this just made me laugh coming from the one who got me hooked lol
I'm going to need a LOT more nems to fill this tank up!!
that's what I said Too ,

I must see what tues holds first before making another order , thinking of putting all the condys on a little island of rock on other side if tank , 2 mini max on sand up front , and the bubble tip on a ledge up top . And add the balance of rock nems to the collection. I hope I can arrange things so everything is happy and not get into each others space

wow I just saw this guy the one under green and brown nem the coloring is awesome

img_3362239_0_7cdaf4db4864749e4022ed75312f8d85.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom