14 gallon nano reef starup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYYFan19801

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, so I'm making the transition to saltwater and want to start with a nano. I know they say start larger, but I lack space and I really love nano aquariums. So first off I'd just like to share what my thoughts were and also ask a few questions!

So far I have this as my "stock" list:

Tank - I'm torn b/w the 14 and 29
Nano Aquarium Systems & Aquarium Kits: Oceanic BioCube Aquarium System

Skimmer
Same link as tank

Heater - 2 100 watt, one for tank, one for mixing saltwater.
Aquarium Heaters & Temperature Control: Hagen Fluval E Series Heaters

Powerhead - For mixing and preparing saltwater (~20 gallons at a time?) Is this sufficient or any other better suggestions?
Aquaball Powerhead 1212

Substrate - I've read anywhere from 2-6", either way I imagine a 40lb. bag will be plenty for either. Any suggestions on sand depth?
Marine Aquarium Substrate: Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand

Live Rock - I plan on getting all live rock and curing it right in the tank to help start with the cycling
Drs. Foster & Smith Select Nano Live Rock

Rock rubble - For refugium, which I plan on transferring the filter into
Saltwater Aquarium Live Rock for Marine Reef Aquariums: Refugium Rubble

Chaeto - Again, for refugium
ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Chaeto

Reef Salt Mix - 50 gallon
Saltwater Aquarium Salt Mix: Kent Marine Reef Salt Mix

Test Kit - Anyone have any suggestions for a better one?
Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit

Cleaning Crew - 3 Dwarf Blue, 3 Nassarius, 2 Astraea, 3 Cerith. I'm open to suggestions for this as well. Is this acceptable?
Easy Buy Bundles - Build Your Own Reef Cleaner Package

I'm planning on eventually adding a few corals once the tank is cycled, suggestions? I seen a nano coral pack on foster and Smith I was considering.

I'm also open to suggestions for fish. I was thinking a Clown and some Goby's if the 14 gallon, or a pair of clowns and ...? if the 29 gallon.

I am considering purchasing an RO/DI unit since I'd like to eventually have a larger reef setup when I move, so any suggestions on a good RO/DI unit that I can connect to my sink faucet would be great!

My plan for water changes is 30% weekly (after initial larger changes for cycling), my question is if I premix about 20 gallons at a time, will it be OK in a 20 gallon container for about 2-3 weeks if I keep it moving around with the powerhead? I will plan on checking SG and ammonia the night before to ensure its ok.

Also, any suggestions for a light for the refugium?

Sorry for the long post, but I like to be thorough and make sure I have everything right! Pics will follow once everything gets underway. Thanks in advanced!

Hey all, so I'm making the transition to saltwater and want to start with a nano. I know they say start larger, but I lack space and I really love nano aquariums. So first off I'd just like to share what my thoughts were and also ask a few questions!

So far I have this as my "stock" list:

Tank - I'm torn b/w the 14 and 29
Nano Aquarium Systems & Aquarium Kits: Oceanic BioCube Aquarium System

Go woth the 29, you wont regret it. I still havent

Skimmer
Same link as tank

I wouldnt bother with this item. I just bought one even against the bad reviews and it works hardly at all. Save the monye and buy soemthing cool, Like a refractometer

Heater - 2 100 watt, one for tank, one for mixing saltwater.
Aquarium Heaters & Temperature Control: Hagen Fluval E Series Heaters

Sounds good, maybe a bit overkill. Not sure where you live,but here in Florida I dont even run aheater. The tank runs hot

Powerhead - For mixing and preparing saltwater (~20 gallons at a time?) Is this sufficient or any other better suggestions?
Aquaball Powerhead 1212

I would add a koralias 425 for inside the tank and one for mixing salt. You'll only be mixing like 5g a weeks you it's up to you

Substrate - I've read anywhere from 2-6", either way I imagine a 40lb. bag will be plenty for either. Any suggestions on sand depth?
Marine Aquarium Substrate: Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand

Make it as deep as you like, a deep sand bad wont be much more helpful in my opinion in such a small tank. 40 lbs sounds like a decent amount for a 29g

Live Rock - I plan on getting all live rock and curing it right in the tank to help start with the cycling
Drs. Foster & Smith Select Nano Live Rock

I would buy say 30lbs or more of base rock from ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Home and then buy another 10lns or more of live rock from the place of your choosing. The base rock will become live while you cycle and it will end up looking the same as the live in maybe a month or two

Rock rubble - For refugium, which I plan on transferring the filter into
Saltwater Aquarium Live Rock for Marine Reef Aquariums: Refugium Rubble

If you get your base rock from reefcleaners they will supply you with rubble if you just ask.

Chaeto - Again, for refugium
ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Chaeto

Good idea

Reef Salt Mix - 50 gallon
Saltwater Aquarium Salt Mix: Kent Marine Reef Salt Mix

If thats the salt you'll want to use then sure why not? Most salt is the same, and people each have their favorites. I use instant ocean reef crystals in my tanks cause its $47 for 200g worth of it

Test Kit - Anyone have any suggestions for a better one?
Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit

That is by far the chepest and most accurate youy'll get for that kinda money. When and if you get into corals I would suggest salifert or elos test kits for: phopsphates, calcium, alkalinity and magnesium

Cleaning Crew - 3 Dwarf Blue, 3 Nassarius, 2 Astraea, 3 Cerith. I'm open to suggestions for this as well. Is this acceptable?
Easy Buy Bundles - Build Your Own Reef Cleaner Package

It's fine, it's what YOU want. They are like fish to me my cuc, I have 20 nassarius snails in my 29 cube and like 5 hermits. But I like the sails alot so I always get more.

I'm planning on eventually adding a few corals once the tank is cycled, suggestions? I seen a nano coral pack on foster and Smith I was considering.

Liveaquaria is the perfect place to research and pick out corals you like. I fond theri prices to be out of control for corals but you canlearn what you like and don't like :-D

I'm also open to suggestions for fish. I was thinking a Clown and some Goby's if the 14 gallon, or a pair of clowns and ...? if the 29 gallon.

This is a good question. lol Right now I;m overstocked for a few weeks but I have in my 29 cube: pair of b&w clowns, a citron goby, a mandarin and scooter dragonets as well as a yellow watchman goby. The clowns wil be going into another tank soon so it'll even things out for me.

I am considering purchasing an RO/DI unit since I'd like to eventually have a larger reef setup when I move, so any suggestions on a good RO/DI unit that I can connect to my sink faucet would be great!

here is the unit I and many others here use

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

It works well and is portable so I can store it away after I make my weekly water.

My plan for water changes is 30% weekly (after initial larger changes for cycling), my question is if I premix about 20 gallons at a time, will it be OK in a 20 gallon container for about 2-3 weeks if I keep it moving around with the powerhead? I will plan on checking SG and ammonia the night before to ensure its ok.

personally I wouldnt make that much and store it. I only use about 5g a week for my cube plus or minus a gallon for top offs which have to be unmixed salt water. Also keep in mind that MY 29g cube with rock and sand in it holds exactly 19g of water.

Also, any suggestions for a light for the refugium?

I have this mod for my cube

BioCube 29 Package Deal - Aquarium Filtration Upgrades & Supplies

Add a light and you have a small fuge built right in :-D

Sorry for the long post, but I like to be thorough and make sure I have everything right! Pics will follow once everything gets underway. Thanks in advanced!

I hope I answered your questions, lol I tried real hard.
I love my cube and woudl def go with the alrger one, more fish real estate and rockscaping ability.

Thanks for replying! That's a cheap RO/DI unit, wow, most of the ones I was looking at were $150 and more and less GPD.

I think I'll take your advice and skip on the skimmer, though I was planning on getting a decent refractometer anyway, it will still leave money that could be better spent elsewhere.

As for the heater, I live just west of Philly, so the winters can get pretty brutal up here and get chilly in the house. I'll pick up the heater just in case, if it turns out I don't need it, well better safe than sorry I guess.

How long can RO/DI last? I know at work we only keep it for a week before we toss it, but I feel that it could probably stay a little longer so long as you keep it moving around.

Just placed my order! Got the 29 gallon for $280. I realize that the light included with it limits the corals I can keep, are there any specific that would work? Just look for lower to medium light corals?

Also, I'm thinking of using some Purigen in the filter. Since I may go without the skimmer is this a decent idea? The site claims it filters out only minimal amounts of trace elements, but I don't want it to effect my overall trace levels too much if I'm keeping coral obviously.

As of right now I'm thinking of a pair of clowns, a spotted mandarin, and maybe 2 Goby's.

Nice. I;m sure you'll be very happy with the tank. I use purigen and chemipure elite along with filter pads.

I would leave the mandarin out of the mix though. VERY VERY difficult fish to keep as they eat live food. I bought an ORA tank bred on pellets and she stopped eating prepared foods when I brought her home. very common to happen. I;ve been working with her for weeks to get her to eat some frozen but she still eats pods.

I also have a fuge in the back of my cube so that pods can grow for food. It takes months and months to get a decent pod population and it;s usually done in larger tanks with LOTS of live rock. I can move my mandarin into my 125g which has a refugium and pods if need be. But usually the fish will starve over about 3 months time. You can add pods in a bottle every few days, but at about $15 a bottle it's quite expensive.

Um I covered my 90 gallon with 1 40 pound bag of aragonite sand. I'd say 20 pound is enough :)

Back
Top Bottom